Fuel pump ??

snowhite

Hey members I probably know what you guys' are going to tell me about the stalling/choke her so she keeps running. BUT, has anyone replaced there fuel pump and why did you? Why I ask is everything wears in time but what was the reason for changing out the pump?I am going to tear down the carbs.for cleaning and possible needle and seat renewal but what about the pump? Is there way to know it's failing? When I ran the sled last winter she was okay, still pull like a 600 redhead should, it's just after storage it suffers from no fuel.

Hey members I probably know what you guys' are going to tell me about the stalling/choke her so she keeps running. BUT, has anyone replaced there fuel pump and why did you? Why I ask is everything wears in time but what was the reason for changing out the pump?I am going to tear down the carbs.for cleaning and possible needle and seat renewal but what about the pump? Is there way to know it's failing? When I ran the sled last winter she was okay, still pull like a 600 redhead should, it's just after storage it suffers from no fuel.

Its not fuel pump, sometimes you have to prime the motor with fuel and get it to fire and it will start pumping after a long summer. Its just dry. Usually fuel pumps will go but a rebuild will take care of that and when they go they usually will not pump at all as they will have a hole in the diaphragm.

X3. It either works or it dont! I don't even try anymore without priming with a little premix after a long summer storage. I also rock the primary clutch back and forth about 10 times. Heard it gets the gas moving? No real science proof on my end but it starts right away and runs!

Well truthfully I guess if the pump works at 8,500 rpm it should work at start up and idle!! I will teardown the carbs. and probably order new needle/seats, they for sure take a beating opening and closing. Does anyone recommend which seats to go with ? OEM Yamaha parts or some aftermarket stuff?

Back