Need help 1986 phazer

Huh idk if even remember those being in there I'll have to read it apart again. Thank you for the picture

Ok looks like both carbs are missing one plug. Could that be my culprit? The plug is in the center hole I would post a picture but it won't let me.

Missing these plugs or putting them in the wrong place will cause this problem. Should be easy to find a couple of these plugs. If you use old plugs make sure they are still soft and not hard and brittle.

According to the video, you have found your problem.

Here is the Yamaha part number

8V0-14118-00-00

These plugs get old and brittle, spend the $25 on new ones and the sled will great.

I have heard that there is some documentation from Yamaha that has the plus in the wrong spots. The correct spots are the center hole, and the hole that covers the pilot jet.

Last edited:
and if I was buying parts, I would replace those bowl gaskets as well. They have a tendency to leak over time.

Ya I hope this solves the problem could have been nice to find that right away. But better late than never parts should be here in a couple days. Thanks guys I'll post again once it's together again

It's alive. Looks like my problem is fixed now I can move on to other things. I would like to put a 136 on this sled with a 1.5" paddle on it. Anyone have any ideas on hearing and where to get new drivers for this sled? I would also like to put a different skid under it you guys recomend any specific skid that's a easy replacement?

Great to hear it's back in business. Bullet proof engines if you treat them right. You are probably limited to 1.25" paddles unless you drop your drives down form 8 tooth to 7 tooth. If you can get a 1.5" paddle in at all there would not be any room to exhaust the additional snow picked up by the more aggressive track.

I have a 144" x 1.25" to install in my Phazer II ST for this winter just to see how it performs. For starters I am simply going to pull the original 136" skid back 4" to accommodate the longer track. I plan to gear down a tooth in the chain case to deal with the extra load from the longer more aggressive track. I also have a 136" x 1" track that I can try if the 144 proves to be too aggressive for the 56Hp available from the 485 fan.

Ultimately I am keeping an eye out for a cheap 96 VMax 600 XT skid and front TSS suspension to go with the 144" track in the Phazer.

Ya I'm kinda trying to make a mountain sled for my future child so I figured a phazer with a long track should be a pretty good choice. My dad has a track it is either 1.5 paddle or 1.25 and it's in good shape. I have plenty of time to build the sled since my kid won't be born till March so 4 5 years I'd say lol. Let me know how the 144 ends up working for u....your not going to change drivers for the 1.25 track? I'd like to lighten up the skid so I was thinking of maybe a AC skid or Doo? Idk how much lighter they actually are

I prefer to make changes to the gearing in the chain case rather than the track drives but if needed I have a set of 7 tooth drives as well as a set of 8 tooth Wahl Bros anti ratchet sprockets. Keeping an eye out for a good price on a set of 7 tooth Wahl Bros sprockets as well. Should be able to run the track a little looser with the anti ratchet drives to reduce slider wear with the taller lug track.

Anyone run the sled without the air box? It's a pain in the a** to get in there would running just pod filters work ok?

It's alive. Looks like my problem is fixed now I can move on to other things. I would like to put a 136 on this sled with a 1.5" paddle on it. Anyone have any ideas on hearing and where to get new drivers for this sled? I would also like to put a different skid under it you guys recomend any specific skid that's a easy replacement?

I put a 1.5" paddle on a 136 phazer. It was a little of a bitch getting the track in there, but once I did it worked great. I used these 7T drivers

https://www.mfgsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=04-108-50

Yamaha Nuts covered this real well a while ago if you look up his posts. Did a great job covering the carb/airbox options and jetting for a piped Phazer.

Back