2001 SRX CDI / Won't fire / Lock up

d4laseck

I have a love/hate relationship with this machine but more love then hate so i still work on it. I have a 2001 SRX that when i pull it under compression and is about to fire it locks up. So it pulls fine for 3/4 of the pull and then it just locks up. If i take the spark plugs out and pull it. It pulls fine and never locks up. However, i think that all the plugs are firing at the same time. this is causing the lock up. Is there a way to tell the firing pattern. Does anyone know the firing pattern. I have purchased three different CDI boxes and they all behave the same way. Trying to diagnose and any information would be helpful.

2001 do spark on eatch cylinder not like 98-99 who spark all 3 at the same time

when did this problem develop after a rebuild or other issue?..is the engine all stock, stock flywheel, stock 2000-02 cases? stock stator and pick up coil?

Last year, at the start of the season, i went to start it for the first time and i wasn't getting a spark. I took it to a couple different places and they said it was the CDI. Well now i have 3 different CDI's. Everything is stock that i know of. I bought it used many years ago. Is there a way to tell if it is a stock case. stock pick up coil?

does it pull over with ignition off? remove the pipes and try with ignition off maybe the pipes are blocked. You can at least see in the exhaust port then too. Just snow balling here.

They dont have the same connection for the cdi ....impossible to make a mix up

need more information. did anyone of the places remove and replace the stator and pick up coil you took it to?? did they do anything to the sled besides trouble shoot the no spark?

The first place it was brought to, was an amateur shop. They messed with everything electrical including swapping the stator, they ended up telling me they couldn't fix it. It was then brought to the dealer who said it was a bad cdi box.

The first place it was brought to, was an amateur shop. They messed with everything electrical including swapping the stator, they ended up telling me they couldn't fix it. It was then brought to the dealer who said it was a bad cdi box.

I would have to say you have the wrong pick up coil or something going on then, if you tried 3 different cdi and it does same thing then its the timing set up via the flywheel and the pick up coil, somthin is wrong there. Someone swapped in a non stock part or has moved the ign. pick up, etc. I asked if engine was stock as the pick up coil location and flywheel are different for the 98-99 srx then for the 2000-02, and you can definitely mess up the ign. timing trying to morph the 2 systems and or engine blocks together.

Back