whats involved in 97 xtc w/reverse chain cover removal?

pete72

got my new to me ride 97 vmax 600 xtc with reverse rebuilt. runs fantastic and have gone thru everything except the chaincase. got to be honest never had one with reverse apart or cover removed. looks like a lot of stuff needs to come off (linkage ect) am I just over thinking this? whats gonna pop out at me or fall out ? alls I'm looking to do is drain the oil and clean any filings or grim out and adjust the chain and replace with fresh oil. from looking at a parts diagram online there is a drain on the backside of the case? whats the best choice to get done what I need to do?

If you want to take cover off it’s no big deal. Nothing will/should pop out at you. If it does you have issues LOL! On reverse, to get cover off you need to remove battery try (if you also have e start). Then the 8 cover bolts ( I think 8). There is also a bolt on front cover e start or not right in the middle that needs to come out. 10mm if I remember right. Will have a copper washer also. That’s it, cover pops off, spray down with break cleaner, wipes out best ya can and let dry. Put back together and fill with 8.2 oz of chain case oil. Non reverse is 8.6 which is what yamalube bottle come in. I always uses a good synthetic like mobile one 90 weight. Plus you get about 3 chain case changes out of one bottle. If you just want to drain behind chain case in tunnel is a 12 mm bolt that will drain case. Then simply fill.

Last edited:
thanxs so much super1c!!!!!! love this site!!!!!! gonna throw some money on my card tomorrow and be a paid member!

Right on! As a VIP you’ll have access to manuals, TY trivia to win some cool prizes and I run a football board for VIP members. Not to late to join in. You’ll be a bit behind in the regular season but I do a mid season best pickem week prize and we start fresh with playoffs, just have to participate during regular season to qualify.

The chaincase cover is held on by
4 x 12mm bolts + 1 x10mm bolt in the middle of it. After you've disassembled and reassembled it once it gets much easier the next time. Goodluck

Last edited:

Back