Viper Needles - any down side to richening?

Canuck

I have the carbs apart on my 02 Viper for cleaning and I pulled the needles to raise them a bit. I was going to go with the 3.25 for a bit of a safety factor but I was wondering if there was any downside to going with 3.5.

I’m in Canada at 600’ elevation and I have non-ethanol premium (91) fuel readily available, although the possibility of getting some ethanol fuel always exists.

I did some math on the needle settings. I used digital calipers, so the dimensions are not perfect but pretty close.

Distances are in inches from the base of the Clip to the tip of the needle.
Clip 3 - 2.309”
Clip 4 - 2.269”

Washer thickness - .015”

This makes the stock setting of Clip 3 with two washers under - 2.279”

The 3.25 setting comes in at 2.269” or .010” raised over stock.

The 3.5 setting comes in at 2.254” or .025” raised over stock.

The 3.25 setting (.010” raised) doesn’t seem like much and that’s why I was wondering if there was any downside to raising it to the 3.5 (.025” raised).

Last edited:

I tried 3.5 and found it too much. Was a bit boggy and plugs were wet and black. 3.25 seemed perfect here in Michigan with average trail riders.

You'll have to try it and see if the change was for the better . If it's a bit too rich for your taste, it only takes 10min to reset your needles while your carbs are installed in the sled anyways. Goodluck

I run mine @ 3.5 without any issues. A little worse mileage but nothing major. Better to be rich than to lean.

Back