Safety Tether for 2000 SRX options

Dturn

hi All,

As I get read to do my first grass drag, I realized I don't have a safety tether on my sled which is required for the obviously good reasons!! I was looking for some suggestions on how you guys have hooked them up or where you got them. I know there is a ton of options online but wasn't sure if there was a plug and play one for Yammie!

Thanks again to everyone's help on this awesome Forum!!

Derek

Hey DTurn. I have a tether on my 2000 SRX. I can grab a picture tomorrow of the wiring for you.

there ain,t know plug and play i know of. you have to tap tether into wiring system. i hooked mine into my engine stop button under handle bars. very easy. thats the one you need but you will have to cut that white plug off. there is know spot for it 3:16x (yammie tony)

there ain,t know plug and play i know of. you have to tap tether into wiring system. i hooked mine into my engine stop button under handle bars. very easy. thats the one you need but you will have to cut that white plug off. there is know spot for it 3:16x (yammie tony)

Figured that was to good to be true!!

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20171012_162407.jpg
    20171012_162407.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Is that the plug you are talking about? I cannot seem to find where anyone documented this so I will try and take some pictures to help the next someone looking to do this!

I have posted the pictures below to hopefully as I said put the next someone looking for some direction on the tether install. I hope my new winder will have one already installed no reason not to have one on a snowmobile! My sons 50CC 4 wheeler has one and it only does like 15MPH not 115 like some of these sleds. Just my rant for the day! I forgot to take more pics of the terminal connectors getting installed so if you cant tell in the picture the black from the tether switch goes to the brown on the wiring harness coming off the kill switch and the Black and white stripe goes to the black and white stripe coming off the kill switch harness. As far as the connector that comes on the tether wiring harness you have to just cut that off as there is no plug and play on these sleds!
Also you can remove your hand warmer knob and put the tether their if you don't want to drill another hole but you still have to make the hole a little bigger to fit the switch through so I just drilled another hole and tried to make it look factory. Overall I think it came out good and looks pretty close to factory although its a little bit high!

20171018_150152.jpg20171018_150212.jpg20171018_150311.jpg20171018_150339.jpg20171017_215418 (2).jpg

Last edited:
fyi, i don,t believe the sidewinder comes with a tether, and i could be wrong. that tether you just got is for a closed system like the srx, sxR sx, viper. the current 4 strokes are different and i believe have a open system. we had a bad time once getting a tether to work on a rx-1. i would do some research adding one on a sidewinder. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Last edited:
To add a tether on any of these two stroke Yammies you need to tap into the black/white stripe and black wires. Connecting these two wires anywhere in the system kills ignition. The tether switch needs to be a "normally open" switch which means that when the tether is installed the switch is off or open.

I find the wires under the handle bar pad, peal back to expose the wire and solder in a tap to hook the tether to. The crimp lock T connectors work fine until they corrode and they may fail. I've seen it happen so I don't trust them.

4 strokes are basically the same. Did my 03 RX1 the same way. The newer ones may have changed wire colors (don't know). The difference is a 4 stroke needs a normally CLOSED switch as disconnecting the two wires kills ignition.

opsled

To add a tether on any of these two stroke Yammies you need to tap into the black/white stripe and black wires. Connecting these two wires anywhere in the system kills ignition. The tether switch needs to be a "normally open" switch which means that when the tether is installed the switch is off or open.

I find the wires under the handle bar pad, peal back to expose the wire and solder in a tap to hook the tether to. The crimp lock T connectors work fine until they corrode and they may fail. I've seen it happen so I don't trust them.

4 strokes are basically the same. Did my 03 RX1 the same way. The newer ones may have changed wire colors (don't know). The difference is a 4 stroke needs a normally CLOSED switch as disconnecting the two wires kills ignition.

opsled

Thanks for the additional info opsled!

I agree on the crimp lock connectors that's why I wrapped them in electrical tape! As I stated I went Solid black to Solid brown and Black/White to Black/White under the handle bar pad wiring harness coming off the kill Switch and it works fine. I didn't have a solid black wire in my kill switch harness just the brown, black/white, and black/yellow.

Back