Leak down tester

Vincent

Ordered one of these today of Amazon.
The idea was to verify ring condition before spending the time and money on a top end refresh for my high mileage 700 redhead . Reviews for the product were excellent and the price was reasonable at 105$ Canadian. Can't wait to try it out!

Attachments

• 71qwTtSs-1L._SL1500_.jpg
    71qwTtSs-1L._SL1500_.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Was wondering If I should give my high mileage 700 redhead a fresh set of rings this year. Two days ago the dry compression test showed 124-128-124 psi, but after reading a MrViper 700 article about the subject I decided to take it one step further.
No less then 10 min after the package arrived at my door step the box was opened and my new leak down tester was install on my sled.The numbers were surprising. Each cylinder were tested at 100 psi for 10mins.

#1 3.5% loss
#2 2.5% loss
#3 3.5% loss

After this information I decided not to open the engine this season.

Last edited:
What is high mileage for you? I know a guy who had 60 000 km on his 2000 sxr.

Sled currently has16 000kms. The previous owner (middle aged women) had it since almost new. She claimed the only engine work ever done was the middle piston was replaced with an oem yamaha. I'm sure she never had the engine fogged for the off season, as I never have either for that fact. She mainly used Castrol snowmobile oil.

I've owned it for 3 years and have driven it 6000 kms since purchased. I only use yamahalube. I removed the middle layer of the head gasket last fall. It has the stock four radiators that all Ventures of this generation came with. Tough little motor for sure.

Last edited:
I know a guy who had 60 000 km on his 2000 sxr.
That just might be a record.
Was wondering If I should give my high mileage 700 redhead a fresh set of rings this year. Two days ago the dry compression test showed 124-128-124 psi, but after reading a MrViper 700 article about the subject I decided to take it one step further.
No less then 10 min after the package arrived at my door step the box was opened and my new leak down tester was install on my sled.The numbers were surprising. Each cylinder were tested at 100 psi for 10mins.

#1 3.5% loss
#2 2.5% loss
#3 3.5% loss

After this information I decided not to open the engine this season.
Remember the old adage.
If it ain't broke,

Last edited:
good to hear, im interested in doing a leak down test as mine just rolled over 20 000 thousand. but with only 4000 more than your machine i suspect it would not be off by much if any from your results. i hope i don't jinx myself saying this, but i'm actually planning on running this thing till it pops, i really want to see just how far it can go. i do the maintenance and take care of it, but rid the hell out of it.

good to hear, im interested in doing a leak down test as mine just rolled over 20 000 thousand. but with only 4000 more than your machine i suspect it would not be off by much if any from your results. i hope i don't jinx myself saying this, but i'm actually planning on running this thing till it pops, i really want to see just how far it can go. i do the maintenance and take care of it, but rid the hell out of it.
I drive pritty hard too.

Have you ever done a compression check, if so what were your numbers?

130 psi across the board, every tester is different so the number is not usually the thing that matters, its the difference between them.they are the exact same for every cylinder.

Few pix of the new toy

Attachments

• mms_20180111_171712.jpg
    mms_20180111_171712.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 9
  • mms_20180111_171721.jpg
    mms_20180111_171721.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 6

Back