connecting rod use after being heated

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Is there any way to tell if a connecting rod is any good after the end got hot enough to take the bearing out of it ? I've got a couple here on a parts crank that the lower bearing got hot and went out,but I was wondering if the heat would've been enough to take the temper or heat treat out of the end of the rod. I have a friend that runs a machine shop that could magnaflux them for me to see if they're cracked,but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the hassle. There'd always be that nagging in the back of my mind about that rod.

Sounds like a question for Yamaha Nutz, I know he rebuilds cranks and has a lot of knowledge on this. PM him.

the reverse of tempering and cold working is annealing, common annealing temperatures of ferrous alloys are around 1300 F where the part is heat soaked for many hours then very slowly cooled to achieve full annealed properties.cranks are often heated during rebuilds and remain unharmed. im sure as long as its true, it is still usable. although you may want to consider the cost of failure opposed to the cost of preventative replacement.

Back