Drive chain locked up

Holenov

I locked up my drive chain on my 03 Viper, was going to change it myself, is there a good manual or a post for this, its got reverse and I was told to take a lot of pictures, any other advice would be appreciated

Hi Holenov - Welcome to Totally Yamaha.

Your in the right place if you need assistance. The guys here are always helpful and very responsive to questions. I will say there's not much difficulty inside the chain-case if you are even just a little bit mechanical. Pull off the muffler off and remove the cover and have a look. If your not up for what you see.... put the cover back on and bring it to the Stealership.
---mac---

I was a victim of a tight turning track when I bought my wife's sled. Turns out the lower bushing was in wrong and when I tightened the bolt it would lock up the track. Probably not your issue but something to look for when putting it back together and something feels wrong. Check your dip stick and see how much metal is in the oil. If you see chunks it could be a gear broke and wedged a tooth. Let us know what you find.

I locked up my drive chain on my 03 Viper, was going to change it myself, is there a good manual or a post for this, its got reverse and I was told to take a lot of pictures, any other advice would be appreciated

I knew it was going to be bad when I found the tension screw at the bottom of the belly pan. The bearing on shaft that runs the track is definitely gone as well as the one behind the driven clutch. I just put a track on it about 500 miles ago, so I guess its worth fixing ?

I paid to do the track install, don't know that the sled is worth that bill again, I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere for dropping the track.

Attachments

• 03 Viper 1.jpg
    03 Viper 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 03 Viper 2.jpg
    03 Viper 2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7
yes that bearing is toast. royaldistributing as well as your local dealer should be able to get the all balls kits that have all the bearings and seals to do the jack shaft and drive axle bearings on both ends.

from the online pricing it looks to be about $37.00 for the jack shaft and $40.00 for the drive axle.

you can do it pulling the track but i do not see the need. just pull the chain case off once you take the tension out on the track and leave the drive axle in place. should be able to replace the spedo bearing in place if the shaft is good.

yes that bearing is toast. royaldistributing as well as your local dealer should be able to get the all balls kits that have all the bearings and seals to do the jack shaft and drive axle bearings on both ends.

from the online pricing it looks to be about $37.00 for the jack shaft and $40.00 for the drive axle.

you can do it pulling the track but i do not see the need. just pull the chain case off once you take the tension out on the track and leave the drive axle in place. should be able to replace the spedo bearing in place if the shaft is good.

So the inside of the crankcase should come off fairly easy ? I'm having a heck of a time loosening off the track too I've loosened the bolts 10 rotations but cant get the axle to slide forward ?

I'm having a heck of a time loosening off the track too I've loosened the bolts 10 rotations but cant get the axle to slide forward ?

You need to slack off the main rear axle nut. It hold your four furthest back boggy wheel assembly tight together. You cannot slack the track with it tightened. I believe the nut side is 19mm and the other is 17mm.

even with the axle loose, you still might need to give the track a smack with a hammer to get them to slide ahead.

Back