'98 SRX rebuild questions

bmillikin

I've started my first rebuild project on a '98 SRX 700. The odometer reads 2168 miles but it seems to have been abused so I'm not sure I trust that number. I've taken the top end apart - what are these pistons and cylinders telling me exactly? Are they still good to use? The sled started and ran ok before I tore into it though I didn't check compression. When I drained the coolant it seemed to have some soot in it, as well. Also, do the cylinder studs normally get very rusty? The cylinders were all absolutely terrible to get off.
IMG_0249.jpgIMG_0253.jpgIMG_0248.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0254.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0247.jpg

looks like that might have been trailered on an open trailer with no clean up afterwards from those engine studs. the spedo key could be broken as well for the speedo. you should flush the entire cooling system while you have it apart. probably sat with origonal coolant in it all this time too whitch is bad.

do the marks on the cyl rub off with your nail? looks like it might have had some crappy oil ran through it or oil system had a bubble in it from sitting.

In my opinion, if that mileage is accurate(probably not), those were very hard miles. Looks like excessive blow-by below rings on the PTO piston. Score marks on intake and exhaust sides indicate a 4 corner or "cold" seize. This happens when you run an engine hard without properly warming it up and the pistons swell faster than the cylinders can expand to maintain proper clearance. Most likely you need to renikasil.

Should I open up the bottom end while I'm in here? What should I look for on the crank?

I have the cases split now but I'm unable to remove the crank from the lower case. Is there something I'm missing that is holding it in there?

Just need to smack it with a dead blow hammer to loosen up the bearings.They seat pretty tight when the cases are bolted together,just don't go crazy with the hammer and if you don't have a dead blow use a block of wood and a ball peen.Sit the base it's side and tap on the ends going from one end to the other until the crank pops loose.

Back