Comet 108 EXP clutch

AJheating

I purchased a new Comet 108 EXP (219703A)for my Exciter. It comes set up for a 1-3/8 belt. I need to adjust it for a 1-1/4 belt, but did not come with a "how to" on this procedure. Any help would be appreciated on this. thanks AJ

Just in case someone comes across this and needs to convert their 108 EXP Comet clutch to or from 1-3/8 to 1-1/4 belt. Remove/install part 214393A belt washers (2 of) behind spider assembly.

Also need the spider tool, heat to loosen the red lock-tight.
The spider is reverse thread, so turn opposite way of you normally would.
I shim a new belt to .020

I'm assuming this is an early Exciter 570 if you need a 1 1/4" belt. If so the original primary/secondary was a non overdrive setup. The 108 Comet is an overdrive primary. It is larger in diameter than the original and because of this you may have belt stretching issues at full shift as the stock secondary doesn't have enough room for the belt to bottom before the 108 primary reaches the top. There are mods you can do to allow the secondary to open further if this does happen.

If it were me I'd use an Exciter II secondary and leave the Comet at 1 3/8". Exciter II used overdrive clutches with the 1 3/8" belt. I would also use an Exciter II primary if it were me but that's your choice.

opsled

I would make it run the 1 3/8 also.

The stock belt is thin, so the EXP face will kiss each other before it pulls a belt.

We use to run the 1 3/8 with stock driven by just back cut the helix seat by the c clip .025.

I would make it run the 1 3/8 also.

The stock belt is thin, so the EXP face will kiss each other before it pulls a belt.

We use to run the 1 3/8 with stock driven by just back cut the helix seat by the c clip .025.

Yup, That's the mod that works.

opsled

The exciter is a 1989. The clutch I pulled was what looks like a 102 (Yamaha Co stamp, but looks like a comet). It also had 8" sheaves. All the information i found on the 102 was that it had 7" sheaves, so i got a 108 that has 8" sheaves, it should run the same? As far as belts, I just want to run what i got, it has always performed for what it is. Toydoc, I read your post before I went to take apart. I worked and worked to break the spider loose, it would not break loose, (it was not reverse threads) both the old and new clutch's are normal direction threads (left loose, right tight). Not saying you are wrong, maybe different on different models. Thanks AJ

Back