2018 season is approaching

Vincent

Well winter is aproching us with ever passing week and ofcourse my snowmobile will be due for some attention again.

As has been posted here before my 2000 700 Venture already has had Alot of work and upgrades done in the last two seasons. The entire skid was rebuilt with new bushings, bearings, and shocks. The chaincase has new seals, bearings, new chain. Driveshaft and Jackshaft have new bearings, as well as both clutchs received all new bushings, slides, and new springs.

Mods have been adding more tip weight to the primary clutch, reed notches on stainless stoppers, droped carb needles one full notch, removed middle layer of headgasket, 2" bored silencer, starter and heavy ring gear have been removed, and new 1.35x136 Cobra track.

So my list for this year are
-Omit heavy battery and install smoothing condenser
-Home made transfer rods (from tech section)
-overhaul my two up seat
-2" risers

That's all I can think of at this time.

Last edited:

How much different does it sound with the silencer mod?

It makes for a louder raspier sound. At first I found the drone while cruising around annoying. Kinda caused a ringing noise in my head witch was weird to get used to.
Hit the throttle and the sound is amazing! I get ALOT of compliments on how Bad A$$ my triple sound cruising or accelerating. Took me a while to get used to it though.

Last edited:
Skids out, and being inspected. Brought my stock transfer rods and 7/8 bolts to my local machinist for machining . Bought my 7/8 couplings, and already modified one to my liking. Just ordered my new blue slides and a water eliminator from Royal D. Did alot of research on risers also. I'll be ordering that soon.

After much research it seem like smoothing condenser 1NL-81965-01-00 is what I'm looken for. Easily found on Ebay and came on many years and models witch is good. Problem is can't find a plug on my sled for it. Starting to think the Venture wiring harness doesn't have a plug for a smoothing condenser cause they only came with electric start and reverse . Anyone know what wires need to be splice to install one? Mite need to make a new thread for that subject.

Last edited:
Vincent,

I don't have a lot of miles on my sled, both before and after, but I installed a Boss seat and risers on my Venture. I like the change a lot. I read that up to 3" risers, you don't need longer cables, but I didn't like how taught my oil pump cable was.

I got the risers from Powermadd. For oil pump cable, I got one for a Yamaha Mtn. Max of similar vintage. It seems the Mtn Max had taller or wider bars and the cable was a few inches longer. I updated my computer a few days ago, and many of my files are still on the old computer. IIRC, I have a file with the details on my changes. If I find it, I'll post it up.

It makes for a louder raspier sound. At first I found the drone while cruising around annoying. Kinda caused a ringing noise in my head witch was weird to get used to.
Hit the throttle and the sound is amazing! I get ALOT of compliments on how Bad A$$ my triple sound cruising or accelerating. Took me a while to get used to it though.
Has anyone ever drilled out the silencer with a smaller hole saw ,say like a inch or 1.5 inch hole verses a 2 inch?

Vincent , I elimanated the battery on my ER viper and had to add the smoothing condensers to it, I didn't have the couplers in my wire harness like the std vipers have, so I looked at a wiring diagram, the smoothing condensers are wired into the red wire coming from voltage regulator . Red wire from smoother to red coming off of voltage reg, and black wire from smoother to ground.

Vincent , I elimanated the battery on my ER viper and had to add the smoothing condensers to it, I didn't have the couplers in my wire harness like the std vipers have, so I looked at a wiring diagram, the smoothing condensers are wired into the red wire coming from voltage regulator . Red wire from smoother to red coming off of voltage reg, and black wire from smoother to ground.

Thanks!

For some reason again I can't post any pictures. The site won't except any images off my phone again.

So anyways, here's the update.

-Serviced the entire rear suspension, installed fresh blue sliders. Finished reinstalling the skid lastnight.
-Finally removed the tunnel protectors.
- Adjustable Transfer rods are completed and installed.
-Picked up a sweet blue viper seat that matches my Venture perfectly! Removed the passager handles and back rest. Looks sooo much better now.
- Changed chaincase oil with fresh synthetic Lucas.
- Scored a used smoothing condenser for 20$ at the same place as the seat purchase.

Vincenrt,

Why remove the tunnel protectors? I don't think you are using carbides, so protectors wouldn't be needed, but keeping them in won't hurt.

Vincenrt,

Why remove the tunnel protectors? I don't think you are using carbides, so protectors wouldn't be needed, but keeping them in won't hurt.

I removed them only for extra clearance for my 1.35 paddles on my track. Clearance was a bit tight and I'm sure the track would rub them on deceleration. I admit they weren't hurting anything and never caused any damage to the track either. It was just a decision I made a while back.

On another note we got 8 to 10" of snow a few days ago and my area finally looks like a beautiful winter wonderland!

Smoothing condenser is installed and functional! No more heavy battery. Ordered my Rox 2" pivot risers. Should be in on Friday. Everything is coming together nicely. Wish I could post some pix though

Rox 2" pivot risers arrived today. Just finished installing them. Wow what a difference they make! Should have done that mod years ago!

Also my steering stem broke at the stem and plate weld two seasons ago. I welded it on the inside and outside of the tube, but last season I was always paranoid of it happening again. So yesterday in the name of safety, aspecially with risers I decided to fabricate and weld in two angle iron gussets from the handle bar mounting plate to the steering stem.

Finally drove my first 5 kms of the season. Couldn't go very fare t'ill we get more snow, but it sure was fun! Sled runs awsome and looks great! Only minor issue is with my risers install now my throttle cable is a bit short. No matter what I tried it some times raises the idle rpms a bit once and a while. Ordered a Viper cable to correct for it. Just need more snow!

Attachments

• received_10156113893639078.jpg
    received_10156113893639078.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 19
  • received_10156113894064078.jpg
    received_10156113894064078.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 14
  • received_10156114529989078.jpg
    received_10156114529989078.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Finally been getting some snow and managed to rack up 20kms of hard riding. Sooo much fun! Feels awsome to back on the sledden saddle. Everything is functioning exceptionally well. My only observation is I do feel and hear some track noises / vibrations. Nothing seems to be rubbing anywhere, and the track is tracking streight and true. I'm fairly certain I make the same observations every season and never find anything wrong.

Attachments

• mms_img1123862153.jpg
    mms_img1123862153.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
New BR8EYA plugs after 80kms of riding. This picture was taken after a hard and aggressive 16kms run. As I finally arrive at my destination, I shut off the sled at half throttle before removing the plugs. Runs amazing and pulls like crazy!

Weather was cloudy and snowing at -10c

Attachments

• sketch-1515721263809.jpg
    sketch-1515721263809.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0431~2.jpg
    DSC_0431~2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0430~2.jpg
    DSC_0430~2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Cut and pasted from a Mr. Viper write-up.

Spark plugs
sparkplug observation: there’s 2 pics here, (Lower) is a right on the money spot on jetting, but this would leave you not very much room if there were a temp drop in the night, but you can clearly see the center electrode of the plug silver across the tip, the ground strap is burned halfway back into the curve, the porcelain has a nice brown finish to it, if the plug would have been newer instead of a used plug you’d see the porcelain white with a "smoke ring" about half the way down it, this means you’re in the sweet spot! Also, if you’re running octane booster it will show up on the porcelain with a rusty red finish! Race gas will make the plugs a dull grey color and very hard to read, that’s why you’d need to cut the race gas with some pump gas to get some "coloring" on the plug to be able to accurately read it.

The other pic (top) is of a trail friendly plug with a small bit of safety in there for a temp drop at night. If the same characteristics from the spot on plug are seen but the center electrode core is just silver on the outside edge, with a darker to black center on it, you have a little bit of safety margin in there, this is a excellent trail sparkplug and will yield excellent power from the sled. The first plug is what I would want when I am racing. (Remember the center will be more white if a NEW sparkplug is used then an old trail ridden one)

Attachments

• 356E77D7-23BC-4198-96E4-88E7DD2E8509.jpeg
    356E77D7-23BC-4198-96E4-88E7DD2E8509.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 25
  • CBC7A5F5-7E7D-4F7B-906D-8D4DD48A3C9C.jpeg
    CBC7A5F5-7E7D-4F7B-906D-8D4DD48A3C9C.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Back