How to remove parking brake- SX Viper

Motodeficient

Hey guys, I am in the middle of removing the track on my 03 viper. Trying to pull the chaincase but I'm stuck on how you are supposed to remove the parking brake from the chaincase and brake disk. There is a long bolt that goes through both "scissor arms" of the parking brake and also two springs... do I remove that? It looks like there isn't enough clearance for that bolt to pull out if I try to remove it though, as the head of it is very close to the metal coolant line that comes up from the heat exchanger.

Last edited:

you don't have to remove it to change the track, next time just remove the chaincase to frame bolts and pull the entire chaincase and the brake rotor as 1 unit. sometimes it takes a squirt or two of penetrating lube on the brake hub to jackshaft, but the whole thing will slide out and off the shafts, rotor will stay in the parking brake and held there. Much easier then fightin with the parking brake!

Thanks for the tips.

Another question- when removing the tunnel protectors do you guys drill the rivets from the top or cut them from the bottom?

Last edited:
Easier to drill the rivets from the top for the tunnel protectors but as to the front guards someone else will have to chime in,I've never had to do this.I remember reading about guys doing this and if memory serves me correct it's a chore to do and from the pic you have I'd say the welds on the top and bottom will need to be ground off at the very least.

I just got a cut off wheel in there and just went slow and easy. You can cut them about 3/4 of the way then just bang them back one forth and they come off pretty easy.

Back