SX Viper- No grease fitting on speedo bearing?

Motodeficient

Putting new bearings in while I have the driveshaft out for a track swap.

There is no grease fitting on these sleds for the speedo side bearing? Old bearing was pretty dry. Do I grease the bearing somehow before I install it on the shaft? I will put some anti-sieze on the shaft itself but on every other sled I have had there was a grease fitting on the speedo side bearing.

Don't mind my dumb questions Never swapped a track on my own before... You mean after i install the bearing on the driveshaft and install the driveshaft back into the tunnel, I should put a bunch of grease behind the bearing cover before I put cover back on? The cover has a hole in the middle for the speedo gear to be bolted onto the driveshaft

Looks pretty much like this ( I think this picture is a 4-stroke).

image002.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I would remove one of the seals on the bearing and put grease inside it? Would a new bearing already have grease inside?

I read some guys add a zerk when they change it out. Not very difficult, that said I never have done it.

Adding a grease fitting will do no good. They are sealed bearings. Just do as staggs said. Pop the seals, wash, repack. If the bearing shows and signs of being bad replace it.

opsled

opssled,

if you remove the seal on the bearing that faces outward, would it be possible to use a grease zerk?

the viper uses a exposed outside of the bearing so theres no where to install a zerk fitting. Its on the other pro action sleds like from 97-2002 that you can install a zerk on the stock steel speedo drive housing, simply pop off the outside seal before installing the housing, a few pumps of grease after installed and bearing will be happy for thousands of miles!

Back