Smoothing condenser install.

Vincent

I'm omitting the battery on my 2000 700 Venture. So bought a used smoothing condenser of a MM 700
,and downloaded the yamaha 2000 sx 700/600 Manuel .
Looking at the electrical schematic the "condenser" black wire is ground (obviously), and the red wire is connected to the brown wire off the ignition that leads to the gauges. Actually found where the smoothing condenser mounts just by the tach. My harness has no plug for it, but wiring it up seems simple and streight forward.

If anyone has any additional experience or advice on the subject I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Last edited:

Installed the smoothing condenser. I cut the plug off and soldered in some longer wires with crimped loops on the end. Used dual wall shrink rap on everything after. I utilized the existing ground and power screws behind the tach to secure everything. Started the sled up and low and behold my tachometer works witch is good because without a battery my tach would never work. This gave me all the proof I needed that the smoothing condenser is functioning!

Last edited:
If I understand this modification, without a battery, you loose electric start?

In my mind the first start of the season is the hardest, because the sled sat for months. Can a battery be used with the smoothing condenser to make the first start of the season, and then remove the battery?

If I understand this modification, without a battery, you loose electric start?

In my mind the first start of the season is the hardest, because the sled sat for months. Can a battery be used with the smoothing condenser to make the first start of the season, and then remove the battery?

Answering your first question. Ofcourse without a battery you don't have a functional electric start.

On the second question, apparently yes. You can run a smoothing condenser and a battery at the same time with no issue. Then you can remove the battery and the theory is that the condenser will absorb the electrical peaks protecting the rest of the electrical system from damage and maintain tachometer function.

Last edited:
Answering your first question. Ofcourse without a battery you don't have a functional electric start.

On the second question, apparently yes. You can run a smoothing condenser and a battery at the same time with no issue. Then you can remove the battery and the theory is that the condenser will absorb the electrical peaks protecting the rest of the electrical system from damage and maintain tachometer function.

Thanks for the explanation. I've never pull started my sled. Maybe I should try in case my battery dies.

With a smoothing condenser, it sounds like a typical dirt bike with lights electrical system. The electrical system voltage varies with RPM and the smoothing condenser limits the voltage.

Back