Yamaha Exciter/Srx secondary clutch questions

thunderjet440

What needs to be done to run a comet 108C with stock secondary clutch? I know some have machined them to open wider,and what belt to use? I don't have the money to convert to a poo secondary,I think Leon makes a wide belt conversion,not sure

how about running a 91-93 Exciter 88R secondary. Already setup to run 1 3/8 belt and should be cheap to buy.

how about running a 91-93 Exciter 88R secondary. Already setup to run 1 3/8 belt and should be cheap to buy.
I have new springs and cams for the exciter secondary,not sure if the later 88R will work on my jackshaft????

You need to machine a little material off the snap ring side of the helix (about .050 to start). That moves the helix away for the stationary and allows the movable to do the same creating the extra room needed for the wider belt. Add a shim in between to keep the movable in the correct spot on the helix cams. Don't remember the belt # but I think it was the 89L Yammie.

opsled

Opsled,where does the shim go, between the spring and helix?
At work so it's hard to visualize everything lol

The shim goes between the sheaves to hold them open for the wider belt. If you don't shim it open the belt won't fit in the top of the clutch in the idle (no shift) position. Removing the material from the helix (where it seats against the snap ring) moves the helix further away from the stationary sheave which in turn will allow the movable sheave to do the same when in full shift so there is room for the belt at the bottom of the secondary.

opsled

Back