Can I run studs on my 98 SRX 700 with 1.25 lug track?

JumperJoe

I have a 98 SRX 700 with a 1.25 lug track. I was thinking of studding it soon but will have to ADD the front h/e protectors. Will I have enough clearance? Also, what are your opinions on running that track with studs? I like the safety of having studs and also the hook up on the hard pack roads etc... Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

I have a 98 SRX 700 with a 1.25 lug track. I was thinking of studding it soon but will have to ADD the front h/e protectors. Will I have enough clearance? Also, what are your opinions on running that track with studs? I like the safety of having studs and also the hook up on the hard pack roads etc... Any advice is much appreciated.

Can anybody give a brother some advice? Lol

Cutting it close,,,,,,,,, will have to run track tighter then I would.............

I'm running 1.5 chisels right now with the stock drivers. It barely fits, light graze on the front heat exchangers and made some fairly large tunnel protectors so the track can barely balloon and hit the tunnel. Running the track really tight as well. This was being used for 500 foot drags though. I would not recommend it on a trail sled. I do have a 1" track with 1.175 megabites and without any protectors I got some slight rubbing from ballooning at WOT on the lake. Protectors are a must when running picks.

I'm running 1.5 chisels right now with the stock drivers. It barely fits, light graze on the front heat exchangers and made some fairly large tunnel protectors so the track can barely balloon and hit the tunnel. Running the track really tight as well. This was being used for 500 foot drags though. I would not recommend it on a trail sled. I do have a 1" track with 1.175 megabites and without any protectors I got some slight rubbing from ballooning at WOT on the lake. Protectors are a must when running picks.

Yeah I will be riding 80% trail. Just wanted the studs for the icy turns and for the quicker stopping power.
Plus, every time we hit the hard packed roads my nephews ZRT 600 with studs has been leaving me in the dust! That’s just not right! Lol

You could switch the stock 9 tooth drivers out for 8 tooth and put diff gears in the chain case to regain top end, if you are willing to go that far..

You could switch the stock 9 tooth drivers out for 8 tooth and put diff gears in the chain case to regain top end, if you are willing to go that far..

Thanks for the advice... Switching the drivers from stock to 8 tooth? Does this give me more clearance for the track and studs?

It will increase your low end "snap" and decrease you top end mph. I'd personally leave the gears stock at 23/37. You are 80% trail riding and shouldn't be even close to topping out. At least you sure as phuck better not be topping out an SRX7 on the trails. 8 tooth drivers w/ stock gears of 23/37 will still only be a 1.86:1 ratio. Absolutely PLENTY of top end for trail riding. She won't be the lake rocket she was, but that isn't what your after.
Now having said that, if you do line up with someone, make it a 1/4 or 1/2 mile race. And invest in some Velcro.
IMG_0318.JPG

Last edited:
I really appreciate your advice. I think I’ll do just that. I don’t need to do 115! Lol. So I do need to switch to the 8 tooth to run the 1.25 lug with studs ? Or can I just leave as is and put tunnel protectors and heat exchanger protectors ?

Last edited:
Always run w/ protectors when studs are used. Or be ready for some damage if you run w/o them. And yes you'll need 8 tooth drivers if you want studs on your 1.25" track.

Last edited:
Where is Brighton?

Brighton, Michigan It’s about 30 west of Detroit. We do most of our riding in Upper Michigan though.
Thanks for all your advice on this stud situation fellas , especially Couple of Bucks . I had the skid out and replaced hi-fax on my 96 VMax last year. I’m good with a wrench but not a mechanic. Is this gonna be a pretty straightforward job?

Common sense will get you through. As long as the drivers are out, replace the speedo side bearing.
I took my jackshaft and 8 tooth extros to my local Yamaha shop for him to press the 9t off and press the 8t on.

I agree you will need eight tooth drivers. If you have access to a press do it your self.

drivers viper.jpg

Last edited:

Back