144 rail extensions for 03 Viper?

TWestfall

Hello, I’m a longtime Yamaha Owner, but new to this site. I have an opportunity to buy back an 03 Ciper that I bought new. I sold it to a friend who sold it to a friend neither ever using it much so for old times sake it would be a cool sled to get back. My everyday ride is an Apex ltxgt, so this would be something I could mess around with. Have always been the just keep it stock and ride it kind of guy. If I buy it I would like to put 144 rail extentions on it and a 1.5 track and handle bar riser. My question is. Does anyone make a 144 rail extention for these and would a 1.5 track fit? Also how tall of a riser will work without needing to mess with any electric or brake lines? Thank you

I got your email, mailbox is clean now sorry about that. I absolutely loved the 144” viper and had no “gotcha” moments with install or riding. It rode even better in my opinion. I used track USA rail extensions and they still make them. That 1.5 track would fit no problem and be a great trail and off trail track. I did the apex handlebar mod also and this was awesome. But if sticking with stock a 3 1/2 inch rox pivot riser fits perfect without any mods and goes great with a home made seat riser. 3 1/2 will be your max without new cables. Welcome to the site and feel free to ask away with any questions or PM me anytime. Also used Hartman tunnel extension. Liked their fit and finish from there tunnel ext.

Thank You! One more quick question. Did you have to use a drop bracket for the rear suspension bolts, or just mount extentions and tunnel extensions. I’m sure I will have more questions once I get my hands back on it. From the day I sold it I have said I wish I never had and if the opportunity ever came up I would buy it back!

No you do not need drop brackets. When I originally did these they were done just with extensions. I did add drop brackets to mine from CB performance, left my wife’s as is. Not sure the drop brackets did anything but they looked cool! LOL!

Super1c,
Did you have to remove the stud protectors from the front cooler to get the 1.5 cobra to fit. Looking at it with the stock track on it now there is very little clearance to the protectors. Would there be any issues with removing the protectors since there would never be plans to stud the track?

A 1.6 Cobra at 144" on a Viper would be friggin ..... wow!!!! I can't wait for that review. When I went to 144, they didn't offer a 1.6 Cobra in 2.52 pitch. I put the Crossover on my 96 XT6.
And yes, you will need to remove the protectors. There are ZERO issues running w/o them.

Last edited:
I put the 3.5 pivot riser on. Love the height. The only issue I’m having is when handlebars are turned full left I’m getting a slight pull on throttle cable and a bigger pull on what I am assuming is the tors cable. The idle rpm jumps up to almost engagement and then tors kicks in and idles funny. Is there a way to adjust about .5 inches on that cable or a better way to reroute it? Doesn’t really seem to be. Will work on the track and extentions next week

Make sure cable is run under the bars from the throttle. Also you have to take the cables out of the loop holder down near the stem. Its a gold metal loop piece all your cables run through, get rid of that. Make sure they are free playing and you should be fine!! I ran a 3.5 riser with no issues doing this. There should be no other cable issues, there is not a torrs cable. Its all electronic. Thats the oil cable.

Last edited:
Complete. Will test it over the weekend. 144 cobra 1.6 track. Tracks USA rail and tunnel extention. Rox 3.5 pivot riser. Powder skis going on next week. Will update after I ride it.

Looks sweet!!
I'm thinking I should have just went with the rail extensions, I got my hands on a 144 rear skid from a mountain viper and I'm still procrastinating doing the change over and having to move mounting brackets and trying to figure out how far and how much they need to be moved. That being said I think I'm going to go with the drop brackets right from the get go. I mentioned I was procrastinating on the project but I have some wear left on the 121 track so I might as well run it out first, because I won't be putting it back on and who would be looking for an old original ripsaw track anyway. :2strokes:

Back