New Guy with a question....what is going on here?

GudeMN

So I posted last week about buying an 700 SRX and 600SX (both '99) a couple weeks ago and I already have a question for everyone.

I took them off my trailer today so I could practice unloading and loading the tilt bed, which I've never dealt with before. I had trouble with the SRX for awhile but it remedied itself eventually. I'd like to see if anyone knows what was going on and if it's something that needs attending to before I plan on taking a longer run in the future.

For background info. The sleds were gone through by a dealer before I took delivery. The SRX was found to have a cracked primary clutch sheave and chips out of the face of the secondary sheave. Both were replaced.

Other work included in the servicing:

Replaced Power Valve Motor
Cleaned carbs
Cleaned Power Valves
Rebuild of 2 Power Valves
Replaced slides

The SRX started fine..6-7 pulls. I choked it to start, left the choke on for about 30 seconds and then disengaged it and let it sit and warm up without any additional throttle, etc. I pulled it off the trailer and then unloaded the SX. Came back to the SRX to run it through the yard.

It had been probably 6-7 minutes since I started it on the trailer. I eased into the throttle. Once on the throttle RPMs would climb to about 3000 and then it would start fluctuating from 2500-3000. If I stayed on the throttle the RPMs would not climb. The track never engaged. When I feathered the throttle repeatedly, I was able to climb into the 4000+ range and the track would engage for a moment but RPMs quickly fell back into the 2500-3000 range while undulating high/low continuously.

I took video of this but for some reason my phone didn't catch very good sound throughout the video. Initially you can hear what the motor was doing, cutting out, then climbing, cutting out, etc. If you watch the tach, I kept steady pressure and then slowly increased, only to have the motor not respond beyond 3000 rpm.

https://youtu.be/ioT8dN1Mfy0

On this 2nd vid the sound is worthless but you can see the relationship to throttle manipulation and how the sled responded.

https://youtu.be/JueayoDqCdQ

I choked it for a second, tried throttling as I did in the videos...nothing different, so I disengaged the choke and shut it off for a bit. I road the SX through the yard, it worked fine. A couple more laps and I loaded it onto the trailer.

When I came back to the SRX, I started it on the 1st pull and let it run for 2-3 mins while I pulled skis and back bumper to align it with the trailer to try and muscle it back on. I feathered the throttle to get it to move and it immediately responded differently....normally. So I took it for a couple laps around the yard and it worked just fine.

Sorry for the long description, I just wanted to get as much info out initially. Does this have something to do with the clutch work? If it's something I should look into or have someone else look into what do you suggest I ask them to look for? Any other ideas, advice?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

That sounds like TORS being activated. Either there is an issue with the switches or the throttle cable is too tight. See the TY Tech section on here, should find all you need.

That sounds like TORS being activated. Either there is an issue with the switches or the throttle cable is too tight. See the TY Tech section on here, should find all you need.

Thanks Ding....I think you nailed it. I checked out TORS online and my sled followed that protocol to a T when there was a problem. It is working fine now but I took a look at the throttle cable in the areas suggested and things look fine. There is a little bit of play as prescribed. Maybe something was bound up from sitting or after it was serviced?? All I know is it's working now. But I'll know what's going on next time.

Thanks for the help.

its easy to test your TORS--I cant put it into words easy but you can call and Ill run you through it---then you could verify that it was do the same thing---Tod 2607019033

disconnect the TORS and plug the harness ends into one another and you won't have that issue again. Make sure to always have some freeplay in the throttle cable though for good measure.

I wouldn't leave the TORS disconnected. I've seen driverless sleds run into trees because the tors wasn't connected. lol

I haven't had any issues since that isolated event so I'm not going to worry about it at this point. You guys helped me ID what was going on so I'll know what to check if I run into the problem again. Thanks for the assist.

Back