Understanding suspension / skids used over the years for Yamaha

brmurph

I am looking for an older Yamaha and am having trouble deciding which skid (Proaction, Mono shock, etc). I guess my biggest concern is which skids have rebuild able shocks and which ones don't? Is there a certain year that rebuild-able shocks became standard? An example is all I really want is a 2005 or 2006 Venom but it looks like the pro action shocks are not rebuild-able and cost close to $400.00 a piece to replace (assuming they are still available), so even if I find a good low mileage machine I assume the shocks would need to be replaced since they are 12/13 years old at close to $1000.00. Then I think well heck just buy a machine with rebuild-able shocks (Viper? RX1? APEX?) and save money by just having them rebuilt.

Can anyone give a little explanation of the skids used from maybe 1995-2000 and which ones have rebuild-able shocks? This has less to do about which skid is best ( I have seen a bunch of post on that :-) and more to do with expense to maintain although any information on specific skids would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am looking for an older Yamaha and am having trouble deciding which skid (Proaction, Mono shock, etc). I guess my biggest concern is which skids have rebuild able shocks and which ones don't? Is there a certain year that rebuild-able shocks became standard? An example is all I really want is a 2005 or 2006 Venom but it looks like the pro action shocks are not rebuild-able and cost close to $400.00 a piece to replace (assuming they are still available), so even if I find a good low mileage machine I assume the shocks would need to be replaced since they are 12/13 years old at close to $1000.00. Then I think well heck just buy a machine with rebuild-able shocks (Viper? RX1? APEX?) and save money by just having them rebuilt.

Can anyone give a little explanation of the skids used from maybe 1995-2000 and which ones have rebuild-able shocks? This has less to do about which skid is best ( I have seen a bunch of post on that :-) and more to do with expense to maintain although any information on specific skids would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mono skid would be the best and all mono skids with aluminum bodied shocks are rebuild-able for about $50 to 60.

All pro-actions with aluminum bodied shocks are also rebuild-able for $50 to 60 for each shock.

x2. if the shock has an aluminum body it is rebuildable. usually the steel bodied shocks are replaceable by a rebuildable aluminum one that you can get used from another sled.

I'm pretty sure anything older than 97 didn't have the rebuild-able shocks. Most proaction sleds 97-06 2 strokes had rebuild-able shocks except for the venture, vmax xt, phazer and some of the vmax's, I think the venom did have rebuild-able shocks, I could be wrong though. If the shocks are aluminum they are rebuild-able. I have mine rebuilt for $25 each. Mono skids are great but they only came on the 4 stroke sleds.

Back