97 SX 700 loud belt squeal!

renegademan17

VIP Member
Thought I had it fixed with new belt and shims but sledbelt will start squealing after warmed up and running a few laps. Anyone else have this issue, only other thing is clutch alignment. Sled is mint with only 2800 miles on it.

You did remove the three washers from the three bolts on the back side of the secondary clutch??? If so its alignment as long as your sure belt is correct. And as long as you can deal with squeal the belt will break in and squeal go away as long as your alignment isnt too far off.

Its not mentioned and with only 2,800 miles you wouldn't think there would be a problem but just to confirm, did you raise the rear end up, take the belt off and turn the secondary to make sure there is nothing binding in the final drive, track or suspension?

yes i did raise the rear and the track does creep, I may try and remove the shims to lower the belt see if that helps if not going to have to check alignment. Belt is new with about 100 miles on it.

Removing the shims will definitely be a major step in the right direction. When I first baught my sled few years back I had the same issue. Once I knew better, took 10 min and it was fixed.

We had a 99 vmax 600 read head that was doing this turned out it had a broken motor mount doesn't hurt to look, but i agree with everyone else with removing the shims if that's not the case!

Back