When to rebuild/Top End on Viper?

ILLYamaRider

I have an 04 Viper ER that has about 8300 miles on it (trail ridden in the North Woods). I rebuilt all the suspension last year, and I have seen many reports on here of the engine needing work in the 9000 mile range. My question is when is the right time to rebuild? I checked the compression last year and eveyrthing was good. I ordered a leak down tester to check that as well this year. If everything checks out do I just ride it another year? I know it will be cheaper to rebuild when all the parts are still good (aka before I throw a ring). With this number of miles could I just get away with only a set of rings or do they typically need new pistons as well? Do they need even more than that with replacing internal bearings? Interested in the experiences of others for what they do successfully. Thanks.

I rebuilt mine at around 9000 and comp check was fine. Leak down test is a true indication of rebuild. Most guys will rebuild every 3 or so thousand miles. I would spec everything out and only replace what’s needed. I replaced rings. And always use new bearings and pin circlips. Every engine is different only way to know is a leak down and spec it out.

You could ride it another season or ten seasons with no issues but you just never know. It wouldn't hurt to at least do the rings.

use your leak down tester you just bought, it will answer your question!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do the leak down test and let that drive me forward. When it does need a rebuild how much do you typically do? Just the top end? How long can the lower bearings and the lip seals on the crank last?

Depends on how many miles you plan on this year and other factors.
Needles raised ? If not reeds are probably due.
Pilot jets always clean ?
Y pipe have crack in it ?

Either way I would recommend a top end rebuild, pistons, wrings, wristpin bearings. The exhaust side of the piston gets super polished and wears down ever so slightly you cannot tell by looking at them. Once they get worn down enough the piston can cock in the bore and cause a wring to catch and ........
If it is summarized well (no signs of moisture in lower end) the crank will be fine.

Have you done the water pump seal yet ? If not it has to be real close to needing it. Check the weep hole on the water pump for leakage it is tuff to get the correct angle with a mirror but you can.

Y pipe cracked a few years ago and I replaced it already. I will get a better look at the water pump to replace that. This sled had been really good to me, and I just want to return the favor. Thanks.

Back