2002 SX Viper Track Rub on Front Radiator/Heat Exchanger

Swdude12

I picked up a 2002 SX Viper that has been sitting for a few years and took it for a spin for the first time yesterday because Michigan got slammed by a clipper. Well I could feel that the track was rubbing and when flipping it on the side you could see that the track is rubbing on the front radiator/heat exchanger bars. The guy I bought it from didnt mention it and you can tell its been rubbing for awhile because the supports bars are worn. Are those bars just protectors for the radiator? Also they only rub when someone is sitting on it, not when just running the track on a mount.

I really dont even know where to start. I looked at other vipers and it seems like there is more clearance on the other sleds than mine. Nothing jumps out at me. Any input on what to do or direction to go would be great. I did purchase the recommended woodys studs for it and would like to install those also.

4800 Miles on it...if that matters. Hope the pictures help, the rub and wear is to the top so you cant see it...I couldn't get a good picture, but those are the bars.

1.jpg2.jpg

Is it the factory sized lugs? I put a 1.25" on mine and had to remove the heat exchanger protectors. Just a thought

I assumed that the track was stock because the guy didnt mention anything. I can measure and confirm. What is factory stock lug size? Also if it is 1.25" how do you remove the heat exchange protectors? If the heat exchangers are removed that means no studs correct?

We tightened the track pretty good and it still hits when you ride it. We have other Vipers with 1.25" tracks with no clearance issues at all. That is why its confusing. I am reading the easiest fix is to trim the lugs with a tile snip. You can tell the lugs are hitting something and are getting damaged, so snipping them might be best. Is there any other adjustments to make? Suspension adjustments? Thanks for the input.

I'd look over the rear skid real good first just to make sure w arm isn't cracked/broke or any missing bolts etc causing the skid to move in the chassis or drive shaft slop?

What size of track lugs are those? My brother's proaction has 0.85 inch clearance from the lugs to the radiator with No protectors. He has a 1.25 first gen ripsaw.

I have 0.75 inch of clearance with again no protects and utilizes a Cobra 1.35 track.

In my opinion if you have a 1.25 in lug track you simply don't have the clearances to run those protectors.

Last edited:
I am gonna have to measure...did you remove your protectors? Or would you trim the lugs? If you remove the protectors that means no studs right? But if I trim the lugs I could still put studs in?

If track is tight, right lug height, then something in the suspension is off. Possible a blown chain case bearing or speedo bearing. Check the track drivers that they are stock and not over sized. Something in there is moving forward when you sit on the sled.try and get it in the air about 2 feet on blocks and have someone sit on it while you watch the undercarriage. Hope this helps

If track is tight, right lug height, then something in the suspension is off. Possible a blown chain case bearing or speedo bearing. Check the track drivers that they are stock and not over sized. Something in there is moving forward when you sit on the sled.try and get it in the air about 2 feet on blocks and have someone sit on it while you watch the undercarriage. Hope this helps

What is the right lug height? I will measure the lugs when I get to the sled...it is in storage.

Thats not the OEM track, looks like a ripsaw. Depending on year and model of ripsaw the lugs either had to be trimmed at the protectors or the protectors removed. I would just trim the lugs at the protectors at this point, thats what i did. I had a 1" track that had to be trimmed. Just depends on make and year of track, no biggie just trim.

Thats not the OEM track, looks like a ripsaw. Depending on year and model of ripsaw the lugs either had to be trimmed at the protectors or the protectors removed. I would just trim the lugs at the protectors at this point, thats what i did. I had a 1" track that had to be trimmed. Just depends on make and year of track, no biggie just trim.

What did you use to trim the lugs?

I think I figured out the issue...I measured the diameter of the cogs and compared them to another viper and they are definitely larger. Can you still have 9T cogs with a larger diameter? Sorry I do not know much about this but the diameter is about almost an inch larger. The heat exchange protectors stick out .25" compared to the viper we compared it to. I wonder if they just welded in non stock ones? Who knows...I am going to look for a stock drive track/shaft and see if that fixes the issue of rubbing. It seems like it would.

No you cannot have a larger 9 tooth sprocket cause it would not have a 2.52 pitch anymore. All yamaha Proaction chassis run 2.52 pitch tracks and drive sprockets. (measument in Inches from cleat to cleat centers on a track)

Last edited:
Measure center of cog to center of the cog on the track. If that track is a 2.52 pitch, you should come up with 2.5 inches.(2.52). Possibly a 2.86 or 3.0 pitch track.

Last edited:
Well the cogs are def larger than the other viper we measured. Could they be 10t? I will take a closer look next time I work on it.

Back