'92 Exciter Carb Problem

kylekilbarger

So long story short, I bought the sled mentioned in the post title and immediately could tell i had a carb issue. When i really open up the throttle it bogs down pretty hard, but eventually (around 3-5 seconds and a little throttle play later) it quits and runs great and sprints down the snow like I know this sled can do. Now these twin carbs need to be tuned evenly so i tightened the throttle stop screws completely and evenly backed them out a little less than what they were when i had problems. At first it seemed like it was running better but then it started to act up again in the same manner. Throttling up hills was difficult too like it was previously. I decided to tighten them a little more so I did. Still kinda doing the same crap. Does anyone happen to know the proper setting for the throttle stop/air screws? Or has anyone else had this problem and know what else it could be other than screws? I also read somewhere where someone had a similar issue, and they solved it by disconnecting the TORS wires from the carb and connecting them to each other?. Any input is appreciated. The snowy season here in central Ohio is upon me and I've been working diligently to try and get this machine running at its full potential (I really want to smoke my dads Indy haha). Thanks.

So long story short, I bought the sled mentioned in the post title and immediately could tell i had a carb issue. When i really open up the throttle it bogs down pretty hard, but eventually (around 3-5 seconds and a little throttle play later) it quits and runs great and sprints down the snow like I know this sled can do. Now these twin carbs need to be tuned evenly so i tightened the throttle stop screws completely and evenly backed them out a little less than what they were when i had problems. At first it seemed like it was running better but then it started to act up again in the same manner. Throttling up hills was difficult too like it was previously. I decided to tighten them a little more so I did. Still kinda doing the same crap. Does anyone happen to know the proper setting for the throttle stop/air screws? Or has anyone else had this problem and know what else it could be other than screws? I also read somewhere where someone had a similar issue, and they solved it by disconnecting the TORS wires from the carb and connecting them to each other?. Any input is appreciated. The snowy season here in central Ohio is upon me and I've been working diligently to try and get this machine running at its full potential (I really want to smoke my dads Indy haha). Thanks.

5/8 of a turn out is the stock setting. Have you cleaned the carbs?

5/8 of a turn out is the stock setting. Have you cleaned the carbs?

I haven’t completely taken them out and cleaned them but I have cleaned them with sea foam. Since I posted this a guy who has a similar sled told me to check my secondary clutch. That’s what I’m doing as I’m typing this

I haven’t completely taken them out and cleaned them but I have cleaned them with sea foam. Since I posted this a guy who has a similar sled told me to check my secondary clutch. That’s what I’m doing as I’m typing this

It could be clutch warn parts or carb not being clean.

It could be clutch warn parts or carb not being clean.

Sure was. Between the the shims that separate the secondary sheaves there was wound up string from a shredded belt. Good thing it was well taken care of before i bought it smh. Cleaned it all out and boom she runs like a beast

Back