97 VMAX SX 700 Reverse Install

4wealn

Hello everyone. I just finished installing a used reverse kit I got from a local guy on my 97 VMAX SX 700 Triple. I was a bit apprehensive to install but once I got into it, it was a piece of cake, except for when the bottom gear bolt snapped on me when I was setting the proper torque. That is a story on its own, but I did manage to get it out without any damage (almost 3 hrs later).
I have installed the reverse and it works great.
My question is, when I took the original chain case apart, I was running a 23 tooth upper gear and a 40 tooth lower gear with a 70L chain. Now I am running the same 23 tooth upper and a 39 tooth lower with a 70L chain. I did not touch the upper gear and used my original chain since my sled has low kms and I was not sure how many the one had that the reverse came off of. When I took off the original chain case cover the upper gear had a washer on it in front of the nut that holds the gear on (this washer was loose on the shaft). The washer was in-between the nut and the chain case cover bearing. When I put everything back together using the instructions from the site here for the STD reverse install, I did not put the washer back in as it did not mention a washer. I looked up a few parts diagrams on Yamaha's site and there was no washer there.
My question is: Do I need to open up the chain case again and place the washer or is it not needed. Some diagrams show a washer there and some do not. The diagram for a 2000 viper has no washer there. There was also no washer included with all the parts that I got when I got the reverse kit. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

All the reverse chaincase schematics I have seen for vmax and Ventures all have a washer between the nut and the top gear. As does my 700 Venture. I really don't think it's a big deal. With or without a washer the gear sits in the same place.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply Vincent. So that we are both on the same page I have attached 3 diagrams. Pic 1 is my sled, a 97 700 triple VMAX SX. If you look in the diagram, the washer I am talking about is #25. It sits loose after you put the nut on. Pic 2 is a diagram from a 99 VMAX without factory reverse (like mine) and there is no washer there. It should have been between # 9 and 25, and finally if you look at Pic 3 which is a diagram from a 99 deluxe with factory reverse, there is also no washer. It should be between # and 26. I did look at the cover part numbers and they are different between pic 1 and pic 2, and since I am using the cover from a reverse model, maybe I don't need it.
I just want to be sure as I do not want to blow anything up and have it cost me more in the end.
Cheers and thank you again.View attachment Pic 1.pdfView attachment Pic 2.pdfView attachment Pic 3.pdfView attachment Pic 3.pdf

My apologies, I misread what you meant. Thought you ment the washer that's tightened down by the nut. So I'll repost this.

I've never seen that washer in a schematic before, and my Venture does not have it either. So, once again I'm guessing your ok! My sled works fine without that mysterious floating washer.

Thank you Vincent. I thought some pics would be helpful to explain what I meant. Sometimes when you try to describe something the person describing it knows what they are trying to say but it might not be interpreted the same.
I put about 35km on it yesterday and all seemed fine. I really do like having reverse and I am glad that I was able to install it myself.

Thank you again.

Back