Srx coolant in cylinder

mnsrx01

Getting my 01 srx ready this year. Pulled reeds out to replace chipped petals.bought sled last year 5800mi only put on 40. I looked into case and in cylinders to inspect everything and looked great until I saw a couple droplets of coolant in the mag side. Not a lot and no corrosion. No puddle in case bottom. I had fogged, mix fuel, and dumped oil in for summertime. Only started it once to get onto trailer this fall. Didn't use any coolant last year but only put on 40mi. I did mark the res. So I'm assuming the head oring? I know These are not new sleds anymore. I just ordered them for all 3 cyl. Sled is stock
And pretty sure heads never been off. Anyone else run into this and what did you find leaking? I haven't taken the heads off yet. Gonna finish reeds and clean carbs first as waiting for parts

And looking down spark plug hole the piston tops have some carbon and some clean spots. Plugs all look the same but as I stated had fogged and extra oil so hard to tell really by this since haven't really ran it this year

Ok so the other day I sprayed fogging oil in there for safety. So today looking at it I do see 2 drips off the lowest bolt on water pump housing. So when I spin the motor over looking in the mag side case there seems to be quite a bit of oil/aintifreeze mixture that comes around on the crank. So now I'm not quite sure how bad of a leak I have. If it's more antifreeze than I thought or mostly fog oil. I'm probably just panicking. The piston top does look cleaned so I'm just hoping it's the head orings. I'm not gonna ride it a ton this year but was hoping to go another season, but now concerned. I don't want to ruin the crank

I am guessing the mechanical seal behind the water pump impeller has failed. I think there is a weep hole to detect this. That is the drops you are seeing on the water pump bolt.

Ok thanks. I took a mirror and tried to look down there. Didn't see anything besides usual engine grime. There was just 2-3 drops on the bulk head below. Also noticed a little green fuzz on the hose that goes onto the pump housing so could be from there also. I took a baby medicine dropper with small rubber hose attached to suck out anything in the case. I think I got almost everything out of there and out into a empty water bottle. The color looks the same as another water bottle that I sprayed some fogging oil into to compare. I let the mixture settle and I'd guess I got out 1oz of fogger color and probably one ml of green antifreeze settled on the bottom. So I don't think my leak is much yet. I'd guess pull the motor to get this pump replaced?do I have to Split cases? I think I'll pull the heads and look. Maybe it's just that idk.

You do not need to split the cases. I have always pulled the motor when replacing. Easier to get at.

If your thinking about replacing the mechanical seal behind the water pump impeller you definitely want to pull the engine.This is not a job you want to tackle with using mirrors or guessing,plus you'll need a pair of snap ring pliers with long nose pieces.

Thanks fourbarrel. Looking at the wash I'm guessing the pto cylinder head oring is seeping as it is cleaner than the center but I don't see anything in the case on the pto. Center looks good top and bottom. Mag wash is cleanest and that's the one I found a little coolant in the case. I cleaned the 2 drops I found under the water pump up and nothing has returned I think it is the hose down there. So I guess I'll reseal the heads when my new orings come and run it a bit. Then pull reeds out again and see if there is any coolant in the case then I suspect waterpump. Hopefully borrow coolant pressure tester this week yet also

Let us know what you find. Finally got to take mine out Monday night for abit as the road had enough snow. Worked great I believe but looking at it today see a drop of coolant in pan and on a water pump bolt as well. Thanks.

I put some pressure on it tonight for an hr or so. Only leak I saw was where I temporarily plugged the carb heater hoses. Gonna seal those up and leave pressure on it for a couple days. Also mark coolant level first. I know somewhere is leaking but must be very little.

Mr.viper? I'd love to have your input or advice as well.

put pressure tester on and see where it leaks. With the age of these sleds, its common for me to find the cylinder head O-rings with a crusty white build up on them. It cleans up easily and the O-rings are cheap to replace. the grooves on cylinder tops usually need scraped out. If the mech. seal was leaking on waterpump it will come out the weep hole and be under the front of engine. Lower rad. hoses like to crust up and leak also, usually same white crusty stuff found on waterpump housing nipple.

Have you ever changed the antifreeze in the machine? it does require changing to keep from forming corrosion, these sleds are old now,.....

Thanks mr. viper i really appreciate your assistance. No I haven't changed coolant on this sled yet that's on my todo list. head orings have been shipped. So the water pump would leak out the weep hole before it would leak into the mag side case?

So I pulled the heads and orings appear ok, a little crust but on the outer seal. Nothing obvious. So pulled cylinders, nothing obvious on the base gasket. Some corrosion on the studs/guides but I didn't see a clear leak trail. Water pump weep hole doesn't have coolant coming out. So not sure here. I've read that the weep hole will leak coolant out if the seal is bad so it wouldn't leak into the case. Is that correct? I'll keep looking it over but not real sure at the moment

Also looking at a pic of a opened up case if the valley where the pump shaft runs was full of coolant then wouldn't I have coolant in center cylinder case bottom?

I can't see in there where the shaft is even with the cylinders off. I would have to split the case. Maybe I'll just wait a few days and see if the mag side case bottom gets any coolant now that I can see that spot. No snow so I can wait and see

So after letting it sit a week opened up I have a little coolant back in mag side case bottom. So It has to be the water pump letting coolant into case since that's the only part left with coolant in it. Looking like no riding this year again. Hopefully fix this over the summer. since I have to pull the motor to do this I'm gonna split the case and reseal everything.

Back