Types of plastic used on sleds

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I picked up.a couple packages of plastic filler rods at the local Princess Auto and I got what I'm hoping to be the most common type of plastic used for things like the airbox and the like. There was 4 or 5 different packs and other than knowing the skis are HDPE I'm not sure what the exact type most of the other components are. Does anyone have some info they could share?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Different plastics burn w/ different colors. Whatever you are going to weld on, scrape off a piece and light it on fire. Observe what color it gives off. Use a filler rod that burns that same color. Or find some other plastic that's laying around.
What-cha fixin?

Well not really anything yet lol but I have a spare airbox that need the screw holes filled in and redrilled.I used a soldering iron and some bits of plastic to melt into the holes on the last one I did but I figured the proper stuff would be easier.

I've used the plastic filler rod before, doesn't seem to hold the best. What I do is shave off some plastic from whatever you are welding and use that as filler.

I use a small straight soldering iron w/ flat tip to "stitch" cracks.
I bought a Bernzomatic pencil soldering iron and found that those things are REALLY versatile and get VERY VERY hot. When using it as a soldering iron, you'll get nice and shiny welds that are very good. The kit comes w/ 3 or so tips. One of which is a big spatula type tip. That one would be for smearing the melted plastic.
If you don't put a tip on it, it works a a micro hot air blower. I've used that for blending scars that are in skis.
IMG_2023.JPG

I have a Snap On butane iron with a variety of tips that are suited to do that too. I'll be trying it out one of these days to see how it works.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Back