03 viper. Low voltage stator reg and battery are good.

hereismylife

Website
www.hereismylife.com
Dealing with this since last year.

Whole harness was pulled and every wire was looked at. No problems with harness.

It will put out 14.3 with headlights unplugged.

Plug in headlight and instantly drops to 13.7

Could a cdi box short or ground somehow?

Thanks Joe

Last edited:

Dealing with this since last year.

Whole harness was pulled and every wire was looked at. No problems with harness.

It will put out 14.3 with headlights unplugged.

Plug in headlight and instantly drops to 13.7

Could a cdi box short or ground somehow?

Thanks Joe

Do you have a short? Check harness under the motor.

at what idle rpm, as 13.7 would not be low at idle, what is it at say 2000-2500rpm?

at what idle rpm, as 13.7 would not be low at idle, what is it at say 2000-2500rpm?

Let it warm up and it is 13.3

At 3000 it goes up a little

If you ride it 50 miles the battery is basically dead. It keeps discharging the battery. Charge up the battery try again the next day and does the same thing.

Tried another good battery and same volts.

with new oem Yamaha or aftermarket ricky stator stuff? aftermarket stuff is junk for these machines. if it was new you have some kind of chaff in the harness then that's drawing power to another circuit. under the engine, under handlebar cover, or by left footwell by cdi box is common places, have also fixed one on the wires under gastank to tail light.

another thing comes to mind you said it gets lower after its warmed up, that's a tell tale sign of a weak stator, so if it was used, you need a new oem Yamaha one.

We have a 04 viper we used all the parts from. Going back and forth. The 04 runs at 14. 2 and has no problems. We went back and forth for 2 weeks testing everything. Only thing we could not use was the cdi box because it is different. With only the cdi box. Ignition coils. Reg and stator plugged in it runs low voltage. Everything else was unplugged and wiring harness was hanging off the sled.

You can call me anytime and I can explain easier then typing everything. 717 629 7237

Thanks Joe

Is there any difference w/ the lights on high or low? I'm thinking of one single wire strand that has strayed. Just spitballing.
I went through your posts last year about this gremlin.

Last edited:
Is there any difference w/ the lights on high or low? I'm thinking of one single wire strand that has strayed. Just spitballing.
I went through your posts last year about this gremlin.

The only thing is hooked up is

Coils
Cdi
Headlights
Key switch
Stator
Rectifier

I will hook up high low switch and seeing tonight.

A parasitic drain is super hard to find.
Can you remove the wires from the plastic headlight plug? If so connect the wires to the headlight w/o the plastic plug-in housing.
Just spitting out idears as they pop into my noggin.

Listen to the ^Dark Lord^before me.

LOL.......you guys are too much. My point was if he took the wire harness out and plugged in those other things its obviously not in the harness then, so the only thing left is the stator that's bolted in the sled.... There isn't anything left if you changed the wire harness and the regulator, and the cdi box, its simple process of elimination, used stators are just that used. Also, if this is an E/R sled it would have had the guage flashing on and off while riding it, indication low voltage, because they don't use smoothing condensers, the battery takes its place and if it was discharging while riding, it would make the gauge flash on and off. either the battery is junk or the stator is junk, nothin left...........

Back