anyone running p85 clutch???

pete72

I'm thinkin about picking up a used Polaris p85 primary clutch for my 97vmax 600 twin. I've done some rebuilding of my Yamaha primary but its still not in the best of shape. mainly the sheeves have some heat cracks. I'm pretty sure it will be ok for the season at least I hope. I replaced the weights and bushing ect with a spi kit and made new bronze bushing for the rollers. I know I would have to do some machining on the secondary to run the right belt as the p85 is a overdrive clutch which isn't a big deal. I know tom Hartman really pushes the p85's but I'm not looking to buy new so calling him for a good set up would more then likely be a waste of his time giving free advise. so hoping someone here may have some good info

update. ordered a p85 off ebay that looks and is suppose to be in good shape. its off a 96 580 xlt with a Fuji triple. suppose to be a deep bore so fingers crossed it will work with some shimming and other slight modifications. I would think with stock weights already in it that it would be close in performing like the Yamaha clutch. makes no sense to keep pouring cash into a stock clutch with the outrageous prices for replacement parts that won't last awhile. will keep this thread updated for others interested. stay tuned

well the p85 I purchased off ebay showed up a few days ago. looks pretty decent for $60. with all the negative degree weather for the past week its gonna take a warmer day and probly a heat lamp under the cowl for a while to get this old girl started. no electric start so. I tried today to start @ +10 degree and wasn't happening. could barely get half a rope pull. just too damn cold!!!! got a day or two in the middle of the week that looks like with the heat light I should be able to get it lite up and in the garage. stay tuned

finally have the Polaris p85 clutch mounted on the vmax. think its gonna work out great. clutch came off a 96 xlt 580. clutch runs almost exactly where the stock Yamaha did.just a couple of thin shims on the secondary for alignment. has stock blue Polaris spring and MB weights. it engages at 4000 rpm and have yet to test run it to see the wot rpms are. crappy rain weather and 60 degree's. unbelievable the weather is after 2 weeks of - degree temps. hopefully my rpms will fall where they need to be. ps was able to use the stock 89L belt and Yamaha clutch bolt. just had to bore the Polaris clutch bolt washer out to fit the larger bolt. stay tuned for test results. hope this info helps others that want to run a p85 clutch

When I bought my mountain max it had a p85 on it. I have no idea what was in it for weights or springs. It ran great and revved proper. I went away from it when I piped my sled because I could find plenty of advice on how to set up a yami clutch but nothing about the p85. Still have the clutch sitting here in my shop...

was finally able to get some mile on the sled with the p85. seems to be working very well. has a little noise in it as it could use a new set of bushing which I have but won't install this season. sled pulls well. may have to order a set of 55gram weights to bring the rpms down a tad as it runs a bit over 8,000. its not really a big deal right now as I don't really need to be full throttle. have a little belt squeal once in a while at just after take off like when I stop to cross the road.think its more the Yamaha 89L belt. belt is new and was cleaned in hot soapy water. think its just not a quality belt. will buy something better next time.

my set up for this Polaris p85 in now gonna be this. Polaris blue spring with 55gram weights. secondary with blue spring and in #3 sheave hole and #3 helix hole. seems to work very well.

Back