Who has had this issue before....ring spin

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
I have had rings spin twice on my SXR and take out piston and cylinders a few seasons back. And my SRX spun a ring last season and took out the same and nicked powervalve as well. Are the Yamaha pistons now a problem that the ring stop wears or breaks and allow ring to spin until it hits exhaust port.
As an example..I replaced rings and pistons few years back and no issues.Then in season 15/16 replaced rings after 5000 miles.SRX ran hard all that season.Then in season 16/17 got only 20 miles on it and it died.Found out ring spun and took cylinder/piston out. Something does not smell right here. Are Yamaha replacement pistons an issue now...

I picked up a 97 vmax 600 xlt over the summer for cheap for the same reason. broken ring and took out the cylinder. sled was in nice shape other then the seat which I got a like new one for free from my brother for some welding work. I did a full top end and crank seals. used spi pistons & rings and replace damaged cylinder with a reman. think I'm glad I used the spi pistons & rings instead of Yamaha parts. I've used them in the past and never a problem. who know how many bad yammy pistons are out there still being sold to the unknown

Same deal here unfortunately. Fairly new OEM piston spun the ring in my 99 phazer and took out the cylinder & piston. I replaced the pistons with a set from SPI and sourced a good used cylinder for it.

Back