too cold too ride

pete72

all's I can say is WOW its cold outside!!! finally have enough snow to ride and now some brutal cold to go with it. weather pattern looks the same for the next 7-10 days here in the north east. I love riding but not in negative degree stuff. wouldn't have thought twice in my younger years. wonder how many still ride when its like this?

We just put 2 days of riding with negative to single digit temps. Wasn’t bad but it does take its toll on ya. No matter how good your gear is it still gets ya after a hundred plus mile days!

kudo's to you super1c!!! wish I could do it.i'd love a 100 mile trip. been waiting for too long. this weather looks to be around for along time. i'd settle for a 20 degree temp now! I have a fresh motor to break in too so really need more normal temps fearing a lean condition I'm not jetted for.

Going out for a new years eve ride today, was -30c 7am its now warmed up to -25c now. Just gotta dress warm.

not enough snow here yet to ride but if there would have been i would have been out. ridden in -30 before and will again. just where and how i ride changes. when it is that cold out i stay in the trees as there is less wind and warmer to ride.

Just got back from a 5 day trip up north, -47c with the windchill. none of the 4 stroke sleds would start, but my 700 Red Head would!

Sort of the same hear in Southern Ontario. I checked the OFSC site for the heck of it. All RED but not surprised. Yeah we got a good snowfall in Dec and -20C to -28C weather with winds and its too cold to ride any distance especially alone. Barely enough snow to cover the rocks and rough frozen trail or fields. Not more than 10 inches. Then we got a thaw and rain in the new year and all but went away short of the plow mounds etc. More snow and again not enough to ride trails unless you like beating the sled on the frozen terrain under the few packed inches. Yesterday a new thaw and all going fast of what was there. I didn't buy any passes or insurance since its waste of money just to sit hear. I can run up my road to a trail which is never groomed and around some fields in the nearby area.

I believe other than the super cold winter is going to be no show with snow. Those in the snow belt from Lake effect will have better opportunities but the trails still show red most of the time. First time I have driven my Venture 600 in cold weather and it sure makes a difference <10c it goes like bat out of...I can barely hang on. It so so when it's warmer around -5C and zero you can feel the difference. Built for the cold I gather which we havent had for many years like this.

I am going to sell it later this year. I like getting out but not desire to trailer more than 45 min anywhere and still not better snow than where I am. I know some of you trailer 3+ hrs north to find the white stuff but not for me anymore.

Another bummer winter even though it started real early the snow comes down and barely enough to ride a bit 6-8" is not a base. then it melts and/or blown away leaving bare stretches. Dec was so cold below -20C all month not what you want to get stuck in being out alone as I am when I ride. Later on all snow falls melted after less than a week. I drove up/dow a local farm trail road to a trail which was barely covered. No base really and hitting stones on the rail bed. Got a few Km on the fields as well. That was it.

I am selling the Long Track 600 now. No point keeping it to just maintain it for the next year to drive a few km within 5km of home.

The province ws RED by OFSC map all winter with the odd occasional yellow or green when never lasted long. I have not desire to trailer 4,5,6 hrs to ride and then drive back home. (staying over night gets too expensive as well as all the gas used).

Back