97 Vmax idle issues

drew184

I bought my dads old sled recently that was sitting for 5 years. I had my uncle go through and clean the carbs since he’s been doing it for years. put new plugs it and got it to run. It was idling around 1000 so I adjusted that and got it around the factory setting of 1500. When it first starts and warms up it’s good but when I run it for a while and come to a complete stop and let of the gas it goes back down to 1000 and dies. I’ll start it again and it’ll idle between 1000 and 1500. Why does it die after running it? Any help would be appreciated.

That is exactly what mine started to do and Super 1c wrote on my post and suggested cleaning the carbs. I know you just had it done but maybe look into them again. Could be something in the idle jet.

Just read your post that super1c replied to, did you end up cleaning your carbs again? I just did yesterday and it ran way better but still wanted to quit after coming to a stop, but if you gave it a little gas then it would idle back up and be fine. I have no idea what the problem would be now.

I did not have a chance to clean them again ( I had them done the first time at the dealer and I have never done it so I didn't want to learn while we have snow). I put new plugs in it and bam, it was back to normal.

Really.. I have more plugs but I just recently put new ones in. I pulled them off after I cleaned the carbs again and they looked fine. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to put a new set it and see what happens.

The tors has been unplugged since I got it. I didn’t know at the time but after I read more about issues I looked and saw that it was bypassed.

Not sure if they’re original or not but it’s worth changing them out for $7. I have new plugs and I’ll have the covers tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

Alright, ran good for a while today but then had to go run some errands and fired it back up and it idles like crap again, carbs were cleaned once in the beginning of the year and I pulled them a few days ago to check them again and reset the pilot air/fuel screw to factory settings. What else could I do and/or check to get this thing runnng right? Thanks for any help.

Yes, after I come to a stop it will drop rpms and want to die unless I give it gas and then usually it will idle fine but even when it’s idling it sounds crappy.

Back