04 Viper 121" going 144" with Viper Mountain Skid

dewieiii

First time in this mountain sled talk as I'm usually hanging out in the SRX/Viper section. Enough of that, the 121 is too short and bumpy plus now I spend more time towing the portable hut to the smaller fishing lakes with the kids rather than ripping up and down the lakes WOT. I managed to get my hands on a Viper Mountain skid to stretch out my 04 Viper S and looking for some information on mounting hole locations on to get the 144 "NO ACTION" pro-action skid to work. Is the front mounting location the same and all I need to do is relocate the rear brackets? I was also thinking of using drop brackets in the rear, is this a good idea? I have found lots of info if using rail extensions (Tracks USA) but not much information on using a complete 144 rear skid. Any help would be great.

Not to say I will be mountain riding but would love to bridge the bumps on the trail, stay on top of the snow when breaking trail through the bush and with a 1.5 inch lug still get my 100 mph when ripping down the lake or old abandoned logging roads.

Last edited:

I would for sure use the mountain viper drop brackets with this skid. You also need the mounting hole locations for the skid off a mountain viper. I can’t remember if the front is the same or not. I know the rear is different. Call Hartman. He’s a sponsor here and has tons of info on these older vipers. He’s a great guy and I’m sure would help ya out. http://www.hartmaninc.com/. Plus his tunnel extension are the best for these sleds. It’s what I used.

Could someone please post some pictures of the rear mounting brackets original or drop brackets from up to an 04 Mt. It would be nice if you can hold o tape measure of something of reference next to the bracket when you take the pic so I can get a good idea of ruff size and location. I don't know if I can get my hands on any of these anymore from a dealer or such so I may have to end up making my own. That being said if anyone has any of these mounting brackets laying around I would gladly take them off your hands please PM me if you'd rather.

If none of that changed from the 02 mountain max I have an extra set of the drop brackets. I'll be getting my sled off the shelf to replace the tunnel tomorrow or the next day and can get some pictures and measurements for you then. I know some of the skid components changed but i'm not sure if the mount points did from the max to the viper.

There are some pictures of my factory brackets in the thread i started about painting my skid. That is in this same section about 2 down from this right now. No measurements on the bracket there tho.

Thank you to those who have responded but I'm afraid I'm not getting anywhere very fast. I now have measurements from a 05 Viper Mountain with the Pro-mountain skid (144") and from a 02 Mountain Max with a Pro Mountain skid (141). Does anyone out there have a Viper Mountain that had the older Pro-Action (144") skid in it? the measurements I have a relatively close and I think with them I can figure out something that will work but if anyone has or could get the measurements I'm looking for that would be a big help. I also have a call into Hartman Inc. and am waiting for him to call back. I just hope I can find what I'm looking for or maybe it is time to ditch this skid and look for something else. I hope all the time effort and energy I put into get this skid right before it goes in isn't wasted.

I have reached out to DING and to Mr. Hartman, both to whom have done plenty of this type of mod however both were able to measure directly off the original sled neither of these guys had any measurements :o|, both were tones of help and gave some great ideas and things to look out for, and are more than open to questions once I get started. The original sled has long left the picture so that option is not available to me. Someone out there must have and older Viper Mountain that had the ProAction 144" skid in it from back in the day. I have read through and step by step rebuilt this ProAction 144" skid using Bethviper's "rear skid fix Long" post, re-valved and stiffer springs to top it off. I know this is going to work for me, all I need are some measurements to make sure it is installed properly and I maximize its performance. Other members have been a great help providing input too, I just wish someone could step up with some measurements. :2strokes:

Well I was also asking around on HCS (sorry guys) and received these measurements:

Butting the driveshaft, first hole is 9 1/4" back and 6 3/8" from outside top of tunnel. Center hole is 13 3/8" ctc off the first hole. The mountain sleds had optional holes for the center and rear mounts. 5 3/16" and 5 13/16" off top of tunnel. Rear mount is 15 1/2" ctc off your middle hole 7 5/8" and 8 3/4" off top of tunnel.

So I guess now, unless someone else has something different, it is time to start making a template and get at marking things out on my skid before cutting and making a bunch of holes. If anyone else has any other ideas or things I should consider please feel free to post. This is going to be my first time at attempting a mod on my own, I've always brought it to someone and helped out. This time by doing the research and having everything ready I'm going to attempt it with only the help of another.

Hey good deal you found the measurements. Unfortunately a lot of the guys that used to mod these sleds are either on the 4 stroke side or have moved on from sledding. Now that you got the measurements at least we can help ya move on from there. Keep us posted

Halo jump Bonestock?

Not 100% sure what you mean exactly but maybe jump brands or from another forum? Well I’m new to this forum and new to posting to any forum. Signed up a couple days ago. Been a Yamaha snowmobile owner for 10 years. Before that it was a couple late 80’s early 90’s bomb doos I had nothing but trouble with. Never again will I have another. I’ve been reading and reasearching through this forum as a guest for a long time and finally signed up. I’ll eventually become a supporting member of this site and reap the full benefits it has to offer.

Last edited:
I have an '03 Viper Mountain skid I'm not using

It needs a front shock and has 151 rail extensions that I could take off but it's in good shape.

Back