97 VMAX SX 700 Drive Belt Slipping

as far as i know, all tripple yamahas used an 8dn belt from factory. i know the twins used a softer belt that when i used one on a tripple to get home would cause issues but was better than walking.

the 97's used a 8ch belt ! to convert over to 8dn belt ,weight must be added to the primary flyweight to bring the rpm down!

My comment was not ment twards you. I was only sharing my experiences with oem belts. Clearly you have done your homework and have put the effort in trouble shooting your issue. Wish I could be of more help to you.

I was just reading your thread "New to me sled", you mentioned that you bought a Yamaha clutch rebuild kit. Can you please send me the part number for that and where you got it.
I would like to do that with my clutch this off season. I am also thinking about doing the same as you with the helix. I just have a few questions when the time comes. I am not sure how to do the 70 or 80 degree. Do you just put the spring in the designated holes and then twist it foe the holes to line up?
Thank you

Sam

I was just reading your thread "New to me sled", you mentioned that you bought a Yamaha clutch rebuild kit. Can you please send me the part number for that and where you got it.
I would like to do that with my clutch this off season. I am also thinking about doing the same as you with the helix. I just have a few questions when the time comes. I am not sure how to do the 70 or 80 degree. Do you just put the spring in the designated holes and then twist it foe the holes to line up?
Thank you

Sam

The "clutch kit" was a rip off. It wasn't complete, had parts I didn't need and cost a fortune. Best to take everything apart and make a list on what is good, and what needs replacing. It's time consuming but saves you frustration and cash! I'll help you as best I can as your questions come.

When you remove your helix you'll see holes marked 1, 2 and 3 on your clutch . On the helix you'll see four holes with the numbers 0, 3, 6, and 9. By placing the ends of the spring in different hole combination you get different spring tension.
So if you used 3 and 3 ( 3+3 = 6 x 10) is 60
If you use 1 and 6 (1+6 x 10) is 70
In my case it's 2 and 6 (2+6= 8 x 10) is 80

Last edited:
Also I just verifyed my belt numbers. I run 8DN belts. I've always had great luck with them and they've stood up to thousands of kms of abuse.

Last edited:
How would I be able to tell if the extra weight was added or it was just the belt that was changed.

It will over rev on shift out . instead of running 8500 rpm it will turn closer to 9000. If it revs over 8500 , you need to add weight! that's with the 8dn belt.

Ok, great guys, last time I was out I had it at WOT and it was not over 8500, but I will check again we I get some snow. Unfortunately we lost it all.

700 SX should run at 8300 RPM, there is a service bulletin on running the 8DN belt on a sled that came stock with 8CH.
It includes changing rivets in the weights, maybe even rollers, I have not been able to locate a copy of the actual bulletin yet.

Look in the thread in this forum "9000 RPM"

Yes, thank you Murder Yamaha. I have been following that thread and also posting in it. I actually have a copy of that bulletin. I describe what it says in the "9000 RPM" thread. The only discrepancy I have with the bulletin is it says I should have a wh p wh primary spring and to not change that for the 8dn belt but I have a wh s wh primary spring and when I looked at the Yamaha parts site on my sled it also lists a wh s wh primary spring. I checked out the 98 and 99 ones that ran 8dn belts and they still run wh s wh primary springs but all the rest follows the bulletin.
We have now lost all our snow and it is extremely unlikely we will get enough to get out again so I can safely say my season is over. I have not yet ordered any parts but I will await some responses before I order the weights/rollers/rivets. I was going to stick to the 8ch weights and change the rivets and rollers and see what happens.

Oh, sorry about that, did not notice your name.
Can you post a copy of the Bulletin ?
Was it a 1998 or 1997 bulletin ?
I found one for the mountain max, but not the sx

it is in a 2001 bulletin, and includes the 97 SX and MM. I will send you a copy. Look on page 177 and forward. I will send it to you tomorrow as it is on my other laptop and I am currently away on work.

Back