Pull cord help

SXVIPERGUY21

Broke the pull cord on my 98 Vmax sx 700 and was wondering if anyone has instructions or some pictures of how to replace it. Thankfully I was able to get it started with the emergency start cable so I could ride but want to get it fixed. When the cord broke it went back into the recoil.. also is there a specific rope I should use if I replace it? If winding the spring back into place ks complicated I may just take it to the shop. Any help would be awesome

1. Take recoil off of the sled.
2. Leaving the whole thing intact, fish the cord out through the hole. You might have to preload the spring by one or two turns before fishing it out of the housing.
3. Once you have pulled the cord out, you will need to clamp(with vice-grips)the spool so it doesn't pull all of the cord back inside.
4. Grab the knotted end and remove the broken pull cord.
5. Thread new cord through the hole(holes) and knot.
6. Now with a firm grip on the cord, release the vice-grips and let the spring suck the cord in.
7. With appropriately 2 feet of the cord outside of the recoil, clamp a vice-grip onto to cord. This clamp will prevent the cord from getting spooled up/in before it is installed and threaded through the cowling.
8. Do not release that vice-grip until the pull handle is on and cord is knotted at the pull.

http://www.iceageperformance.com/armor-cord-snowmobile-replacement-cord-1506.html

Last edited:
another thing to add to couple of bucks how to is to add a knot down close to the recoil once reinstalled on sled. we do that so you do not have to take it all apart to get going faster.

Back