1988 Phazer, Wont Rev High

wconsidi

So I just picked up a 1988 Yamaha Phazer. Starts, Runs, Idles great. Even drives well. But I feel there is something wrong. It won't climb over 5000-5500 RPM and seems like it should be faster. I played around with the mixture screws and adjusted the idle. But it didn't seem to make a difference. I reset the carbs to stock mix and then played around with it. Then just set it back to where it was when i bought it. The guy i bought it from said he replaced the pilot jets. Not sure if I should replace the main jets. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Well, I went through my entire electrical system today. Cleaned up a couple grounds and fixed some terrible electrical hacking. Someone before me installed a heated thumb grip and a helmet heater, removed both of them and got it back to stock. Took it for a rip. Still wouldn't get over 5000 rpm's, So its not electrical. But when I got back from ripping it around, popped the hood. And there it was, staring me right in the hairy eyeball. Fuel was pouring out of the clutch side carb. It was overflowing so much that when I pulled the boot off to remove the air box fuel came out of the air box. So pulled the carbs. Cleaned everything. Tomorrow reinstall and I will update again. If that does work, I guess I'll start looking at the clutches and the track idlers. See if something is binding.

Oh and if anyone knows an easy way to remove or access the starter could you post how to. I want to get the electric start working. And I have power getting to the other side of the starter solenoid but the starter doesn't start. So any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

starter should be under the exhaust on that sled. if you are putting power out to it and it does not turn, odds are it is toast.

I am having the same problem with a 90. I did The carbs and secondary. I was thinking it may be the reed valves or possibly the little black plugs in the bottom of the carb. Anyone else run into this before?

I double checked the rubber plugs. I can get it to rev to 7500 but when I let up and hit the throttle again it bogs down. If I hit the choke half way it cranks right back up. Anyone have any thoughts. Are my chokes too loose? Or need to be tightened?

boringnh try spraying the crank seals with brake cleaner or ether as i suspect that you might have a bad one or bad carb boot.

Back