1997 VMAX XTC 600 coolant in bottom end

Ride.Race.Live

Hey guys, this should be a pretty direct answer and I probably will answer the question myself but I want to make sure i'm right.

A little backstory.... "previous owner did the top end" backyard style... seems like it burned down Mag side piston, installed new aftermarket piston in mag side and left OEM piston on PTO side.

Mag side piston was washed out and had 100PSI.

PTO side piston was oem it wasn't washed out but had 90psi.

Now the wash out COULD also be the fact that his oil pump is finished, hes burning pretty well his whole reservoir of oil to a tank of gas. So we are in the process of getting a new oem pump installed.

Now back to the point on hand...

I found an equal amount of coolant in both sides of the crankcase... is this motor "open" across the middle or was there coolant leaking in from both sides.

For this motor.... is there any water ways in the bottom end that could allow coolant to leak into the bottom end or are the only possible leak points at the base gasket or head gasket.

I just want to confirm that I dont need to open up the motor anymore then it already is to fix a possible leak issue.

From what it looks like there's no coolant seal or anything that is near or attached to the crank case which would leave only 2 possibilities that would cause coolant in bottom end (base or head gaskets)

Thanks in advance!

I think your on the right track, the guy may have reused gaskets, which can be done sometimes.
If i had to guess, i would say the coolant is just a gasket issue. When rebuilding, may want to check bore size carefully to make sure you don’t need to re nicasil the cylinders depending on mileage.

Yea, i'm getting buddy to send his cylinders out to get the bore measured to make sure its not out of spec or becoming oval.

The cylinders actually look good, no wear still even has cross hatches... I know the cylinder that had the aftermarket piston was cleaner so good chance that one was either change out or re done.

Just to confirm.... there's no other water passages that could cause coolant to leak into the bottom end other then from the base or head gasket?

Thanks!

Perfect thanks...

I didn't feel like splitting the cases to change any kind of seal or gasket.... (mind you if I would of had no choice it would of been done)

Just sucked out the coolant.. going to spray the insidie with some rich pre mix then suck that out then spray a bit of 2 poke oil down there to keep em well lubed.

Ill get this heffer back up and going soon! lol

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers

Last edited:

Back