SRX runs for 2 seconds....I'm going to burn it

ikeever

In short: 2001 srx 700

Symptoms: Starts for two seconds then CDI is cutting ignition (I can see the spark killed through my test light). If you keep RPM above 4000 it will run, but CDI kills it as soon as it reaches idle.

New: Coils, CDI, Stator, pickup coil, voltage regulator/rectifier

Checked: Condensers, load control relay, head light relay, every inch of wiring harness on the sled, unplugged head lights, bypassed all switches, unplugged hand warmers, even applied 12 volt battery at voltage regulator to force 12 volts to the CDI... all the same result starts for 2 seconds then ignition dies...(if you force the 12v into system with a battery you have to disconnect is before it'll start again, this tells me the CDI is cutting (and holding) spark for some reason)

I know there is a 2001 tech bulletin about adding an additional relay/harness for something similar to this, due to load demand at startup, but unplugging headlights would remove any load...and I did that...no change

It won't start with speedometer unplugged, CDI must need that to run bit check with the temp light ...that's the only/last component that could have a short?

I've got hundred of hours in the POS...does anyone have any other ideas before I burn it and post the video on youtube?

As copied from the bulletin:

Problem: Some units may experience either of the two symptoms:
1. When the headlight switch is in the low beam position, the
engine will start but then quickly shut off. The engine will not
stay running unless the headlight switch is put in the high
beam position when starting.

2. The engine will momentarily drop rpm and sometimes shut off
once during the first start up. When restarted, the symptom
is gone, and the unit will start and run normally.

Cause: When the Load Control Relay engages at 700 rpm, it can cause a
momentary loss of spark due to low ignition system voltage.

Remedy: If either symptom presents itself, replace the headlight relay with
the Headlight Relay Kit designed to reduce current draw during
start up.

The part number for that headllight relay kit is "90891-50137-00".

OK slight update... I can get it to start and stay at 3000 RPM indefinitely now (no lights or accessories work) as long as I don't touch the throttle. But as soon as RPM moves, CDI box cuts ignition immediately. Checked Throttle position sensor in accordance with the book, replaced thumb throttle assembly, and have tried bypassing TORS. Still dies as soon as RPM changes. While running voltage out of the voltage regulator and condensers is 14.5v.

I also know for certain the CDI box is withholding the ground to the load control relay (ground going into the CDI box is fine). Thats is why none of the lights are working...I get that, but why is the CDI cutting ignition as soon as RPM moves up?

Sounds to me like you have a wiring harness rub through somewhere. There is a lot of info on the website about this. My 2002 SRX did the exact same thing when I had an auxiliary jack power cable, for my helmet heat shield, short to ground.

Sounds to me like you have a wiring harness rub through somewhere. There is a lot of info on the website about this. My 2002 SRX did the exact same thing when I had an auxiliary jack power cable, for my helmet heat shield, short to ground.

Every last inch has been inspected or ohm checked....

for some reason in my mind, I'm thinking I remember something about unplugging the load control relay will allow the sled to start and bypass the rest of the wiring harness, I think the lights and tach and such wont work but allows you to run engine to get home, try it and see if it runs. if so you know its a problem in the wire harness.

for some reason in my mind, I'm thinking I remember something about unplugging the load control relay will allow the sled to start and bypass the rest of the wiring harness, I think the lights and tach and such wont work but allows you to run engine to get home, try it and see if it runs. if so you know its a problem in the wire harness.

Yea that is in the book. Tried unplugging it, same results. But it really doesn't matter because the CDI isn't giving the Load Control Relay the ground to close anyway. (the load control relay is never energized anyway)

Yea that is in the book. Tried unplugging it, same results. But it really doesn't matter because the CDI isn't giving the Load Control Relay the ground to close anyway. (the load control relay is never energized anyway)

Does anyone know if a 2001 SRX will run right with the power valve motor unplugged? Maybe the power valve motor is making all the trouble. also, are viper and SRX power valves the same?

The powervalves are just different enough that you can't swap them.As far as unplugging the servo and running the engine it should still fire it'll just throw the servo code through the temp light.

The powervalves are just different enough that you can't swap them.As far as unplugging the servo and running the engine it should still fire it'll just throw the servo code through the temp light.

Does the engine have any sensor to notice knock. Power valves are ugly.....one was starting to contact piston... could this be related to the CDi killing the ignition?

Does the engine have any sensor to notice knock. Power valves are ugly.....one was starting to contact piston... could this be related to the CDi killing the ignition?

only a 2002 srx has the knock sensor in the srx line up. The powervalves are nasty because someone never cleaned them or used cheap azz oil. Them contacting the piston means the cylinder and or powervalve is worn as theres stops cast into the cylinder to prevent that, if its highly carboned up the carbon can rub on piston.

that's what I though. Klotz oil, Yeah original power valves with 6000 miles...worn out. but i'm not buying power valves until I figure out the electrical issue.

What is the gap between the flywheel and crank trigger ...to much gap will change the voltage ............

I'm just going to pull all the power valves out completely and put PV housing back on and continue troubleshooting. Will a viper wiring harness work on a SRX? I'm just changing parts out now...

What is the gap between the flywheel and crank trigger ...to much gap will change the voltage ............

Crank Trigger? is that the pick up coil? I checked the pickup coil distance... no way to adjust it anyway...it's fixed. Flywheel looks great no rust...

Power valve will not make your engine to died ..its something electrical .... Does it seem to work good went u keep the rpm high

Back