Stock 2001 SRX 700 primary - A fresh start

a viper isn't going to run real good with that srx set up, the srx will have belt slip as the viper stuff isn't heavy enough, your comparing 120hp sled to a 140hp sled. Kinda a waste of labor to swap all that...…... be much more fruitfull to just change the primary spring!

those coded helix will bite ya in the butt every time if you don't really know what your dealing with. The helix list has a lot of incorrect information on it. Your not the first and wont be the last, that's went this route and wonder why you don't come up with the desired result. As said before its like baking a cake, leave out some ingrediants and youll likely not get a nice cake from the oven. In your case the helix and rollers are not whats in the recipe.

Gotcha! The experiment did give me some feedback, though. The SRX acted a bit sketchy at first; it'd snap to 8K and stay there, sometimes, or it would go to 8K and then jump to 8500, sometimes. But then, after the temp dropped to around 20° (it was 30° when we left), it would snap right to 8500 or 8600 every single time and easily pull to 90+ MPH and climbing. Now I know the motor has the HP, I just need to keep experimenting. I have a Y/W/Y spring and I own one other Bender Helix from a kit that was purchased for a 1998 SRX600 way back when I first bought that sled in 2002, but of course I have no idea about those angles either. Anyway, the other thing it proved was that even on the Viper, 8K was/is all that setup is going to see. I feel like I now have a lot of great info, a few potential parts to work with and I know where I'm trying to get to with them or with a new helix if need be...thanks, again, for the help!!!

also, to learn what you change and the results, change ONE item at a time or youll continue to chase your tail. You know what the result was of the first set up, so put that all back in the srx exactly as it was, and change only the primary spring and record your new rpm and shift result. After you change one item at a time youll be able to look at your paper and know which items are the right way to go.

IMG_20190312_184453098.jpgIMG_20190312_184522898.jpgIMG_20190312_184553728.jpg

I know pics don't tell much, but here are the bender helix's; mine from the SRX600 on the left, the one I bought last year on the right with graphite left on the ramps. From the witness marks it doesn't look like it was opening all the way, but I may have figured out why; some secondary clutch mod the former owner added that I'm taking off. Going to try that first, then (if it's not working right) the other helix, then, last, I'll swap to the Y/W/Y spring.

Back