Stock 2001 SRX 700 primary - A fresh start

Wizard

I have a bit of a budget and I'm tired of fighting with shift kits, moving weights around, etc. I'm going to order clutch parts and while I could just go back to stock, I'm wanting it to pull better than that. What's a great setup that will just keep pulling my arms off. The new-to-me clutch I'm working with has low miles and very little wear so all I need is advice on what new Yamaha spring, weights, roller diameters, etc. to order. Trying to keep things simple this time around. Thanks!!!

stock 8dn20 weights, 4.5 rivet in both holes, a white/white/white primary spring, 15.6mm rollers, 51/45 helix with green dot desc. spring at 70 degrees. bout as simple as it gets and much improvement over stock.

stock 8dn20 weights, 4.5 rivet in both holes, a white/white/white primary spring, 15.6mm rollers, 51/45 helix with green dot desc. spring at 70 degrees. bout as simple as it gets and much improvement over stock.

mrviper can I also use this setup on my 97 vx700sxa. I already have the green dot secondary.

C & P from Tech Sec.

97-99 SX700 Trail
51/43 Helix, stock weights w/4.5g rivet in 1st hole and 3.1g in tip, 2-3 engagement shims, stock springs, 1 or 2 layers removed from head gasket and 22/40 gearing. Jetting: 142.5 mains

mrviper can I also use this setup on my 97 vx700sxa. I already have the green dot secondary.

no, it wont work on a 97 sx, you don't have a long spring cap on clutch and the weight will be too heavy resulting in low rpm and poor performance. 8 dn20 weights from a 2000-02 srx will work good in a sx but youd have to use a lot lighter rivets as the weights are already heavier then stock. a longer spring cap from a srx will allow you to use the long springs as well. 51/43 helix works good in a sx. do you have any parts besides stock to work with?

no, it wont work on a 97 sx, you don't have a long spring cap on clutch and the weight will be too heavy resulting in low rpm and poor performance. 8 dn20 weights from a 2000-02 srx will work good in a sx but youd have to use a lot lighter rivets as the weights are already heavier then stock. a longer spring cap from a srx will allow you to use the long springs as well. 51/43 helix works good in a sx. do you have any parts besides stock to work with?

No I do not, All I have are the stock parts that are on the sled.

Roller question: I already own a set of new 16mm. If I use them in place of the 15.6mm, would the .2mm (~.008") more from the center of the screw to the outside of the roller have a significant effect? I understand that the RPMs will be higher by comparison, but will it be much and what does it mean in the roller chart when it says "decrease force"?

2001 SRX700 w/studded ripsaw track (so, yeah, it's gonna be slower) - I bought ALMOST all the parts Mr. Viper recommended and setup my primary and secondary as follows:

8dn20 weights, 4.5 rivet in both holes, white/white/white primary spring, 16mm rollers (instead of 15.6mm; this being why I say 'almost"), 51/45 helix with green dot secondary, spring at 70 degrees.

Problem is, I'm only getting to 8100 RPM (maybe 8200'ish) and maxing out at 80 MPH on groomed trails. Was hoping to get past the 90 MPH I had been seeing, not go slower. What's my next move? I've considered less weight on the primary (but which hole?), more wind on the secondary and a less aggressive multi angle...but before I go screwing things up I wondered if those in the know have suggestions.

2001 SRX700 w/studded ripsaw track (so, yeah, it's gonna be slower) - I bought ALMOST all the parts Mr. Viper recommended and setup my primary and secondary as follows:

8dn20 weights, 4.5 rivet in both holes, white/white/white primary spring, 16mm rollers (instead of 15.6mm; this being why I say 'almost"), 51/45 helix with green dot secondary, spring at 70 degrees.

Problem is, I'm only getting to 8100 RPM (maybe 8200'ish) and maxing out at 80 MPH on groomed trails. Was hoping to get past the 90 MPH I had been seeing, not go slower. What's my next move? I've considered less weight on the primary (but which hole?), more wind on the secondary and a less aggressive multi angle...but before I go screwing things up I wondered if those in the know have suggestions.

What make helix are you using. Also what’s your jetting. And lastly did you clean and adjust powervalves. Just trying to eliminate other options. Cause when i had the viper suspension and rip saw on my older Srx I still pulled rpm and hit 100 on dream meter. Yes it wasn’t as fast as the other Srx’s in the group but was a better ride

16mm rollers are not as aggressive as 15.6mm rollers are, but would increase the rpm slightly. I would bet more that you don't really have a 51/45 helix and have a coded helix that someone thought was a 51/45. more then likely that's why you have low rpm as the finish angle is likely too steep. So, your next couple options is too either tune the tip rivet lighter to allow more rpm, or change the helix out. You also could put in the stock yellow/white/yellow primary spring and that will raise the shift rpm due to it being a bit stiffer, its 45/128 vs the w/w/w is 45/119kg.

It's a Bender that "A couple of bucks" sold me. Stock jetting. Power valves are dialed in. I swapped the entire setup between the 01 SRX and my 02 Viper and the RPM's moved, too. Going to go for a long ride with both sleds tomorrow to see how the SRX does with the Viper setup and see if the Viper does OK with this new setup though I doubt it. After that I'll swap back and give the old Y/W/Y spring a try on the primary. Thanks for the help!

Back