slide rails

Overthehill70

So, i have a '95 vmax 4 800 that i had just recently replaced the rear axle, idlers and sliders. It took a little coaxing to get the last bolt in to mount the suspension, after that it seemed just fine. Took it out for a ride and stopped to check it out quick only to see the bogies still spinning. They werent even touching the track. so basically i was just riding on the sliders. im headed out to try and figure it out but any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

yamaha slides usually wear to a point and then stop for thousands of miles. i have at least 5000 miles on the slides on my apex atm and they are still good for another couple of seasons.

a friend of mine said the exact same thing about his apex. i'm afraid these will be worn before they reach the wheels to stop them. i wont be able to look at til tomorrow. will use a caliper to do another comparison. may have to go with a little bigger wheel. thank you for the input. have a great season.

It's not uncommon for the rear idler wheels to spin freely depending on the surface you stopped on. We've been running Vmax 4's since 1992. Still have 5 of them. I wouldn't be too concerned. If the slides are worn, by all means replace them. Yamaha designs the rear suspensions to put lots of pressure on the slide rails. That's why they can heat up in marginal snow. Good luck.

I got under there and had a look. everything seems fine and sliders werent as bad as they seemed at a glance. i do have to say though, i have had this sled for 3 years and it goes through sliders for sure. probably going to add wheels.

Back