Viper eating a lot of fuel

JERSEYJOE

What would cause a Viper to start using a lot of fuel? Normally the Viper uses a lot less fuel than our APEX sleds but this weekend it needed fuel and we had a lot left. Last season it was a lot better and it runs fine otherwise. Getting around 10 miles per gallon.

I have heard that if the vent line from the carbs to the airbox gets unplugged it can reduce fuel mileage. Also maybe the choke is stuck open a little bit.

I have heard that if the vent line from the carbs to the airbox gets unplugged it can reduce fuel mileage. Also maybe the choke is stuck open a little bit.

Been chasing the same thing on mine. Just found one of the reeds bad and some primary clutch spring wear that i think could hurt it. Just sombre things to check.

Hey Joe,

I know you work on your fleet of sleds often keeping them in perfect running order. Think back to what recent work could have caused the changes. Clutching should be checked for sure. Make sure the twist is correct. Most ideas above should be checked but are fuel related and would make the sled run rich. Have you done a plug check to see if its running fat. And i like the idea of putting the sled on a stand remove the belt and check that the track can be pulled by hand.

Back