1991 yamaha phazer 2 st 480 help

greatsledkAK

Hello I just bought a used 1991 Yamaha Phazer 2 st
480 The guy who had it before me upgraded the suspension and put a paddle track on it he did tighten the track up a lot because he said the track was slipping when in deep powder but he kept breaking drive shafts on it because of the tension so he sold it to me it was on it's 4th broken drive shaft so i have taken it apart and i am trying to figure out what i should do so that the track tension will be at factory settings and there will be no slipping.Any suggestions would be appreciated
because i have no idea

you need to put extrovert drivers on it to run a looser track tension. have had to do this mod before.

If you are running the original 8 tooth drivers with anything more than a 1.25 paddle you are likely going to have problems. If you are slipping cogs and busting up driveshafts the track may be binding up against the bulkhead due to lack of space. Over tightening the track won't help because you not only need space for the paddles to clear but also enough room to pump out the snow, ice, rocks, sticks, etc. If you down size your drives to 7 tooth anti-slip such as Wahl Bros 02-555 you may gain enough clearance. It will also give you more torque to turn the paddle track in the powder which you will need unless you can afford to replace burned up drive belts and clutches.

In my opinion the real fix though is to keep your paddle height to 1.25 max and use the 7 tooth drivers with the SS tunnel. To use a taller paddle like 2" you are into and expensive drop and roll mod for the jackshaft and chain case.

Back