Cold starting

Scarpino

Any tips on how to start a triple when the temperature drops in the single digits? Had to use starting fluid but I would rather not. 98 srx 700

Are the carbs good and clean especially your pilot jets? Check to make sure your choke cable is properly
Adjusted and moving the choke circuits completely open at full choke. Have seen this cause them to be cool starting.

heck i have started a viper at -40. trick is to pull it over 10-12 times or until it spins freely with the ripcord with the ignition off. once it spins freely, turn the ignition on and it usually starts within 2-3 pulls.

when your done riding for the night, kill the engine via the choke lever, it will prime it up rich for the next morning and make it start easier. also you want to make sure the choke lever is adjusted so it completely opens the plungers when its flipped in position number 2, almost back over on the lever.

I have been killing the engine with the choke like mrviper said. It helps quite a bit.

Gets very cold up here. THose -20 days I've been recently covering sled with a blanket and putting a portable heater under it. If not I pull very slowly for about 10 pulls to try and loosen free it up before pulling hard.

I guess you could always use an electric inline hose heater for cars to heat the coolant? I know some of the 4-stroke guys does that around here.

defa-slangvarmare.jpg

Idle set to high (slides need to be down to increase vacuum on choke circuit) and chokes not adjusted to fully open are very common problems with hard cold starting. I've seen it many times over the years with many different models.

Small adjustments can make a big difference especially with today's shit gas.

opsled

Back