94-96 600 Motor vs 97 600 Motor

Exciter570

Hi guys,

Is there any difference between the subject motors? The engine in my 95 with GYT twin pipes failed and will need 2 replated cylinders, pistons, etc. and I've been advised that with over 9000 miles on the sled that the crank should be rebuilt as well while things are apart. Instead of going the rebuild route which will run ~$2k parts & labor I am considering putting in a low mileage donor motor. I have a handle on a low mileage 97 600 twin but don't want to pull the trigger on it if the 97 motor is different and will cause problems and/or I won't be able to run the GYT twin pipes.

I appreciate your insights,
Chris

There is a lot of difference, I believe the port timing is different as well as the bore and stroke is slightly different. You will not be able to run those other pipes on that 97 motor if I am not mistaken.

Thanks, guys. Aside from those differences I've also learned the 97-99 600 twins are not bolt ins for the 94-96 as the mounting points are different. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do a top and bottom end rebuild.

Back