Sx chassis e start mod.

Maim

Super Moderator
As many know the electric start vipers xtc vmax ventures and sxr have the ring gear mounted to the primary clutch. Over time it comes loose and wears the clutch pilot where it mounts. I modded this clutch to use roll pins so that it drives on the roll pins before it drives on the bolts. Clutch balance was checked after install. Now to get it installed and see if it works.

45f518dedb95c28a1065d022dddbd1ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As many know the electric start vipers xtc vmax ventures and sxr have the ring gear mounted to the primary clutch. Over time it comes loose and wears the clutch pilot where it mounts. I modded this clutch to use roll pins so that it drives on the roll pins before it drives on the bolts. Clutch balance was checked after install. Now to get it installed and see if it works.

45f518dedb95c28a1065d022dddbd1ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea!!

well we had failure this weekend on this sled. i do not know if it was the mod that failed 1st or the primary spring causing the belt to slip making heat to cause the locktight to soften so that the bolts loosened up. have to take it apart this week and replace the less than 1000 miles primary spring that failed with an old one for the riding we have left.

put in new oe yamaha bolts that came with blue locktight applied on them. did not add any. still have to tear it down.

put in new oe yamaha bolts that came with blue locktight applied on them. did not add any. still have to tear it down.

Green loctite (sleeve retainer) is the way to go. Held great for years now and I put them through dishwasher once a year and no problem.

well new to it clutch is at the machine shop now getting tapped and drilled for the ring gear. going to make 2 of the bolts into drive pins and let the other 4 just hold it on. planning on the bolts at 12 o clock and 6 for the drive pins.

up date time.

3rd clutch seems to be lasting. bolts are done with green lock tight and there are 3 1/4" steel pins welded to the ring gear in the same locations as the split pins in the pic. got close to 1000 km on it so far with no problems.

Back