Need help

bkas2724

Hey guys my srx 700 runs like a raped ape for about a mile then just bogs down like it has no gas. I've changed fuel pump, fuel filter, checked the pulse line, pulled fuel lines off carbs and pumps gas out, has 130 ponds compression, and I just can't figure it out. I let it set for like 5 minutes and runs great for same amount of time. I even changed ecu box. Any ideas

1. When did you change that fuel filter?
2. More importantly, what did the plugs look like while you were sitting there for those 5 minutes?
3. Was the hood up during those 5 minutes so that the engine compartment components could cool?

Last edited:
I am guessing by what you said you went through the carbs. Did you pull the float valve out? There is a little screen under it that could be restricting fuel if it is partially plugged. Also, is the coolant level good? And are the heat exchangers getting warm? What does the headlight look like when it starts to run bad? Is it still bright? Just a couple things that come to mind.

I let it set for like 5 minutes and runs great for same amount of time.
If it acts like your dropping a cylinder, I’m leaning towards a compromised coil. A plug read at the time the sled is giving you issues will narrow it down. Run that way for @ a football field or 2 before hitting the kill switch or key.

Change the plugs. And change all three. I recently had a power washer do the exact same thing. The engine ran perfect until hot. Then the plug stopped firing. Once the engine cooled off the engine ran fine for two or three more minutes. The plug looked perfect when hot. I changed the plug and it was fixed.
---mac---

Change the plugs. And change all three. I recently had a power washer do the exact same thing. The engine ran perfect until hot. Then the plug stopped firing. Once the engine cooled off the engine ran fine for two or three more minutes. The plug looked perfect when hot. I changed the plug and it was fixed.
---mac---
Resistor plug?

Bingo - yes resister plug. I hate to admit that i changed everything i could think of on that engine. I had another Honda engine. Switched the carb, drained the gas tank, changed fuel pump. The simple item gets overlooked. It made no sense at all to me that a hot plug would not fire once at operating temp.

Bingo - yes resister plug. I hate to admit that i changed everything i could think of on that engine. I had another Honda engine. Switched the carb, drained the gas tank, changed fuel pump. The simple item gets overlooked. It made no sense at all to me that a hot plug would not fire once at operating temp.

That's a good thing to know. I had to think about this one for a while last night. Sitting there thinking what would cause this after a mile of riding. This makes sense and is easy to check. And you are right, sometimes the little stuff gets overlooked.

So I changed plugs, took carbs apart and checked screens under the float valves, and still same dam thing. When starts bogging down even putting choke on does notta. It doesn't act like it's only dropping one cylinder, it's like it run out of gas. Let it sit for 1 minute and runs like nothing wrong. I've owned this thing for many many years so it's not like I don't know how it runs. I m pulling my hair out on this one tho.

Could the float bowl adjustments all be set to low starving the bowls? Then the bowls refill and your good for another mile. same cycle keeps repeating.

1.) how much gas is in it, about a 1/4 tank?
2.) have you tried to crack the gas cap loose when it stalls??, does it hiss when you go to unscrew it?

Back