LED bulb conversion to alleviate stress on stator a good idea?

snotwister

VIP Gold
So my 2003 viper has already been through a stator in 5000 miles and I was thinking to better help out the system in general, it would be a good idea to just simply trash the original halogen bulbs for some LED replacements instead .

Any thoughts on this?

Is this a pair of H4 traditional car bulbs up there?

Would love some feed back on this for the very reason of putting lesss load on the system.

The bulb itself does draw less watts. But depending on they type I.E. the Cree bulbs with heat sink or fan or just a run of the mill LED. The cree bulbs will draw about the same by the time you power fan ect.... The ones with heat sink will be slightly less but if you read the fine print you will find these to be about the same draw as regular bulb just way brighter. It takes a lot to power the ballast also. The run of the mill LED will be a lot less draw but will have no light projection and besides looking bright are pretty much useless. Either way the headlight system is not much of a draw. I have run for years on my viper HID's (which the ballast is a huge draw), electric shield, and GPS and have had no issues with stator (knock on wood) LOL. This 300watt system is pretty substantial and any stator issues other then a small short somewhere should hold up to this kind of abuse. But they are getting old and failure will start to creep in. Its all about age more the miles.

Saw these on eBay.
dd8c2592d19feac7aecaf5f3db771280.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the stator puts out AC voltage so unless the headlight circuit is rectified to DC then that's what you have.I will have to check my SRX to make sure so I'll get back to ya.I just bought a set of LED bulbs to try in my sled so I need to know this info before I plug them in and ruin them.

Those are nice. I run 3600 lumens those are a bit more at 4000. Also they are a 6000 kelvin. I run around 3400k. The 6000 May come off more towards the blue side.

I think the other poster is right about LED lamps mounted into halogen reflectors. They DO NOT project very well. They (LED) are brighter but the light focus becomes an issue when used within a housing designed for halogen

I had my '01 running the other day and dug out my volt metre.The SRX must rectify the headlight voltage in the system because there's already DC voltage at the plugs,so any LED bulb should work.

Well the stator puts out AC voltage so unless the headlight circuit is rectified to DC then that's what you have.I will have to check my SRX to make sure so I'll get back to ya.I just bought a set of LED bulbs to try in my sled so I need to know this info before I plug them in and ruin them.

I did the same thing on my 2001 Yamaha Venture has a single H4 but I did not know it was AC voltage and it made one bright flash of light and the LED was blown. What's the best way to run LED's I had one in my tail light also and it was so dim due to the AC voltage and I had to go back to a Stock 1157 bulb

I did the same thing on my 2001 Yamaha Venture has a single H4 but I did not know it was AC voltage and it made one bright flash of light and the LED was blown. What's the best way to run LED's I had one in my tail light also and it was so dim due to the AC voltage and I had to go back to a Stock 1157 bulb
The only way to get a DC voltage LED light to work is to buy one with the rectifier already wired in or buy an aftermarket rectifier and do the wiring yourself. You'll have to convert the voltage to DC otherwise you'll burn out any LED bulb.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

or get a hold of roc toys (site sponsor). he makes the trail jamz system and a bunch of other stuff. he makes a led conversion kit that works in the older sleds. i run one in my 1997 et410 t/r with no problem. lights only come as a pair but they work in anything with the same socket. i have the other bulb from that set in my wr 250x supermoto.

I have tried to get a hold of roc toys and I have never heard back from him. I was looking for a bulb for my 97 vmax700sx. Has he disappeared. I sent him a PM over on the 4 stroke forum. No reply.

A 1997 SX700 has clean DC voltage out of the factory rectifier. I ran the headlight power from the factory rectifier thru the head light switch. Its pretty easy

Back