Looking at Vmax4's anything to watch out for

brade07

Lifetime VIP Member
Ive been searching for a decently priced 750 or 800, I finally came across one, its a 1992 Vmax4 750 (black with gray/pink decals)
Says it has 8200kms, has an Xtra 10 rear skid, a 1993 Vmax4 for parts a new track, but needs a jackshaft (says the splines are worn down and it slips)

Is there anything on these sleds to watch out for, Ive driven them when I was young (family had 3, 2 800's and a 750)
But its been over 20 years since Ive been around one.

I have a 95 800, love it.. Its a fun sled. Any sled can be a problem if it was not maintained well. Track, Bearing and clutches as well as carbs cleaned.

Just the usual stuff. Check compression. Check for damage from crashes. The '93 jackshaft is the same so it can be used if in good shape. It helps a lot to grease the spline where the jackshaft couples together. The 800s were one piece and didn't have the coupler.

If the shaft portion that extends into the chaincase is in decent shape, you can use it and turn the coupler around. It's pressed on so you have to heat it and press it off. The portion of the coupler that was on the long shaft will be in perfect shape. Press the coupler back on to the shaft with the worn end first. You can even tack it on if you're afraid it will slip. The onther end of the coupler will have perfect spline. We've done this a couple times. Replacement is best, of course. Grease that coupler once a year and there will never be a problem. Enjoy.

Back