Trail side twiggy fire for lunch?

snotwister

VIP Gold
Anyone have pics to post of their group having a trailside lunch break roasting dogs over a twiggy fire? Just curious as how many of you have had them in the past and what your secret is to packing light and how you bring your food .. your mid-day lunch time twiggy fire break.

1/2 a dozen times for me. I’ve always kept a couple of fusees(roadside flare) in a Ziplock in the trunk of the seat for lightning the fire. Dogs and buns in ziplocks too. Break off some sticks for roasting the dogs and go-to-town!!

Last edited:
I carry a Bic Lighter, fire starting stick in case it's windy or wet, and a hand saw in case you want bigger pieces of wood. Sturdy knife is key for making kindling and cutting branches to cook brats/dogs with.

Brats/dogs travel wrapped tight in foil. Once the fire is going you can skewer the brats/dogs and roast them over the fire. You can also let the fire burn down a little and set the foil wrap directly on the fire to let them cook that way (Pre cooked products are best for this method). Bring a heavy leather glove for handling the foil and tending the fire.

Don't forget to snuff your flames before you leave.

Back